The Stars Shine Brighter With You

This was my entry for Adri's Fluff vs Angst competition, so you might have read it already, but I thought I'd put it here anyway, I kinda forgot about this for a while. (this one-shot makes me squeal I hope you enjoy it lol)

>>>><<<<

He looked side to side quickly before slipping through the fence to Area 77. The bright lights of the facility lit his path as he stayed out of sight of the security cameras. He had done this countless nights before this one, it wasn't unusual to see the hippie sneaking through the fence.

The hippie made his way straight to his destination, no casual looking around, not getting distracted by the architecture of the military base of anything like he might have usually,

He quickly made his way through the only just ajar door of the main hangar, he'd been here before, the large UFO hanging from the ceiling, the bright artificial lights making the hippie put his hand to his forehead to block out the light that was shining into his eyes as he looked around for a certain someone.

Spotting the man leaning on the wall waiting for him with a smile, his military uniform looking pristine as usual, the hippie ran over, pulling the captain into a hug, Scar let out a startled laugh, wrapping his arms around the hippie.

"So you finally decided to show up, hm?" Scar asked him with a smirk, "I've been waiting here for an hour."

"We agreed ten o'clock, not my fault you're an hour early." Grian huffed, barely able to pretend to be annoyed.

"Grian, It's eleven pm." Scar said, pointing up at a clock on the wall, chuckling slightly.

"...Oh." Grian said simply, looking slightly embarrassed, though he quickly brightened, "What did you want to show me anyway?"

Scar grinned, "You'll see."

----

"Are we there yet?" Grian said, walking in front of Scar, the captain had his hands over Grian's eyes, leading him slowly to their destination.

"Only a little further." Scar chuckled.

Grian felt the dirt under his feet turn to wood just before Scar stopped him.

"You can look now!" Scar said, unable to hide the excitement in his voice as he took his hands away from Grian's eyes.

They stood on a small jetty on the edge of a large lake, the stars in the sky reflected perfectly off of the surface of the water, disturbed only by the warm breeze that flowed through the trees lining the edges of the water, their branches hanging lazily over the lake. Grian stared wide-eyed at the surroundings, his hand resting lightly on Scar's arm as he looked out at the lake.

Scar grinned, "There's still more to see, wait here."

"Oh! Ok...?" Grian said, giving Scar a questioning look as he retreated off the jetty and through the forest. Seeing him head to a part of the lake that was hidden by a curtain of leaves hanging down from a large willow tree. Grian watched the spot intensely until Scar came through the curtain of leaves on a small rowing boat, only just big enough for two people.

By the light of the moon the hippie could see that the boat was carved out of dark oak wood, it was beautiful, it would have taken a lot of time to carve by hand, and by looks that's what Scar had done, the terraformer had an eye for intricate details after all.

When the boat drifted close enough to the jetty Scar reached for Grian's hand. He took it and stepped carefully into the boat, sitting down opposite Scar, who was smiling bright enough to light up the world around them and holding the oars steady.

"You- you did all this? For me?" Grian asked, tilting his head to the side before looking out at the lake as Scar began rowing with a small nod.

"I wanted tonight to be special." He replied quietly as they drifted across the lake, towards the middle where the reflection of the full moon was making the water glimmer with light.

When the boat stopped moving, the pair sat in comfortable silence, just enjoying each other's presence, the wonderful view of the forest, the feel of the warm summer breeze. Scar looked at Grian, his chocolate brown eyes were shining in the light of the stars and the moon, the clear night was perfect for tonight.

"Woah-" Grian let out a gasp of awe as a white light streaked across the sky, he moved to the edge of the boat, standing and gripping the ridge as he leaned out over the lake as if he was trying to get close to the stars as more meteors streaked across the sky, a meteor shower lighting up the vast void above them.

"Make a wish," Scar said with a smile, "It might come true."

"I already have everything I need." Grian said quietly, not to disturb the beautiful silence of the lake, sitting back down, "As long as you're here I don't need to wish for anything better."

The pair fell back into the same peaceful silence, just happy to be able to spend this time together, watching the stars. Scar moved his hand to rest it over Grian's, the hippie making no move to pull his hand away, pointing up at the sky.

"They're so bright and beautiful..." Grian said, gazing up at the bright sky.

"The stars shine brighter when you're here." Scar said with a smile.

"The Stars-" Scar started, taking Grian's hands,

"Shine brighter-" Grian continued as if this had been rehearsed a thousand times.

"With you." they finished.