Stormy Nights

[Synopsis: Astraphobia-a morbid fear of thunder and lighting. Captain just so happens to suffer from such an affliction, but it didn't make itself known to Dum until the two started living under the same roof. Particularly on a night of heavy rain and angry skies...]

[Location: Captain's house(Oh, and it looks a lot better now that it did in the Christmas episode, trust me.)]

____________________________________________________________

Dum was woken from her slumber by a flash of light blaring into the bedroom from the window, and she slowly blinked her eyes open and sat up in bed...The first thing she registered was the constant sound of the downpour cascading onto the ground from above, followed by the wind blowing the rain to and fro as it fell.

She took a peek at the alarm clock to her right; the screen was black. And the lamp on the night table proved to be worthless too when she flicked its switch.

The power must have gone out... she surmised, taking another look out the window. The moment she turned her attention towards the sky, a garish white flash of cloud-to-cloud lightning branched out across the sky, brightening the room like daylight. Even against the cloak of rain that it flashed behind, the lightning's shape was still clear. Dum's eyes lit up, and a tiny smile inched across her face; there was something about thunderstorms that just mesmerized her. Dangerous, but beautiful. Loud, but somehow soothing...She loved weather like this.

The thunder from the bolt sounded off soon afterward; a low, growling rumble that crackled a bit when it first started.

Man...Places like Polus don't have this. Guess we're lucky here on Earth.

Another sound caught her attention, just barely audible under the sound of the storm outside. It sounded like it was coming from under the blankets off to her left...where Captain was sleeping.

Is that...crying...?

She lifted up the covers a little bit and took a gander at her precious marshmallow...Captain was curled up into himself, shaking violently and suppressing a long squeal in the back of his throat.

"...Captain?" Dum whispered, immediately concerned by the state of her boyfriend. When she got no response, she shook him lightly. "Captain, are you okay...?"

That time, he slowly lifted his head and turned it up a bit.

"D...d-dum? Is th-that you?"

His voice was weak and choked up. Dum felt her heart crack a bit at the sound of it.

"Yeah, it's me...What's the matter?"

"I...I'm f-fine, Dum," he whimpered, obviously fibbing. "N-nothing t-to worry ab-bout..."

"Captain...If you were fine, you wouldn't be crying and shaking like this."

"C-crying and...How'd you know I was...?"

"I could tell by your voice," she whispered even more softly than before, reaching her hand out and gently resting it on his side in an attempt to comfort him. "...Did you have a nightmare?"

"I...I don't know, Dum. If I did, I'm probably still having it."

"Why, what's wrong?"

Another bolt of lightning illuminated their surroundings from outside, flickering for a moment before the bedroom was shrouded in darkness again. Dum felt Captain flinch as the room lit up, and she heard his breath stop short.

"...Th...th-that's what's wrong," he squeaked.

"The lightning?"

"M-hm...A-and the th-thunder..."