The Great Werewolf Mystery-Part 3

{Synopsis: The good news is that the suspect list is narrowing down...The bad news is that with less people to be killed, the odds of cleared crewmates dying next are becoming greater.}

{Location: Polus outpost}

____________________________________________________________

The crew gathered in the Office after they all heard the news, and they waited for Engineer and Sheriff to finish their search around the cabins for more evidence. No one really said much of anything; Dum felt guilty for having asked for the extra protection; if she'd have known MrEgg was going to be left with nothing but a weak scented candle for protection, she'd have offered him hers back...Maybe that would have saved him.

TheGentleman was slumped against the wall, holding one of his top hats in his hands and tears in his eyes.

"I...I could have done something...I could have double-checked to make sure he still had something that would work, o-or given him something to defend himself with like Captain did for Dum..."

"TheGentleman?" MrCheese asked him. "A-are you okay?"

"Why...Why am I so selfish, MrCheese, why...!?"

He hid his visor beneath the rim of the top hat in his hands, letting his tears flow freely without having to make anyone else witness them. MrCheese kneeled beside him and wrapped him into a hug, assuring him that it wasn't his fault, and that he wasn't selfish, and that they were just trying to stay safe.

"Hey...How 'bout I get you a cup o' tea, hm? That might help calm you down. Do you want that?"

He nodded in response, and the orange crewmate stood up and headed over to the coffee station to brew TheGentleman a hot cup of English breakfast tea...And it was the moment the tea bag started to steep that Sheriff and Engineer returned, the former carrying a few pieces of paper in hand. He motioned for everyone to come to the meeting table, and once everybody was seated and attentive, he began.

"Alright...First off, we'll have you know that MrEgg's remains have been buried alongside Veteran and Stoner, and their graves have been marked in case anyone might want to visit them...But there is good news. And quite a bit of it."

Everyone leaned in.

"First of all, We've learned that our defenses have worked to an extent; MrEgg was an easy target, but the buildings that were boarded up remained intact, even when the werewolf made an attempt to enter. Sheriff, show everyone the picture you took a minute ago."

He picked up one of the papers he had with him and showed it off for everyone to see.

"This is TheGentleman and MrCheese's window. As most of you know, the boards were put up on the inside to reduce the amount of broken glass that would likely end up on the floor. And as you can see, the werewolf managed to make a sizeable hole in the window...but whoever it was couldn't get past the wood quite so easily."

Just inside the gaping, jagged-edged hole in the glass window were several crooked rows of deep claw marks scraped into the wood.

"That was all the damage it could manage," Sheriff nodded. "Now. Since the glass is broken, we'll have to patch the hole up with somethin'; we ain't got any spare window pane in Storage as of right now, but we've got the whole day to think about that."

"And that's not the only photo evidence of the culprit we have," Engineer added. "...As we'd hoped, Sheriff managed to catch the werewolf on camera last night."

"You did!?" TheGentleman piped up, suddenly regaining his energy. "Who was it!?"

"Welp, there's good news and bad news 'bout that," the tan crewmate replied. "...Critter was mighty quick, and they hid behind the rock by the Office before I could get a close 'nuff look at the face. Here, take a looksee."