Only A Dream

[Synopsis: Player has some experience with horrible nightmares...But even his last spell of night frights couldn't compare to something like this.}

[Location: The Skeld]

TW: Major character death & suicide during the dream sequence. Oh, and spoilers for Squid Game, if you haven't seen it...for some reason. Fortunately, I make up for all that with an extra five heaping doses of pure fluff. XD

____________________________________________________________

Rain fell from the dark clouds above, soaking the playing field and casting an ominous light on the figure on the opposite side of the course...Player looked down at his knife, then back up at his best friend. He didn't think it would come down to this point, but the toss of the coin sealed their fate. Why did it have to be this way?

...Why him?

Why not...her?

Veteran had at least given him a hand. Noob had just griped and complained the entire time, barely contributing to the team they'd formed...Why couldn't he have been on HIS side?

Veteran seemed to be thinking the same thing.

"...I didn't want it to have to come down to this either, Player," he told him. "But I guess we didn't have a choice...You know this isn't anything personal though, right?"

He didn't answer him...He couldn't find the words to.

Veteran swallowed hard. As tempered as his outer shell appeared to be, Player knew that he was a big softie under all the tough talk and words of wisdom...And seeing what it had come down to, it broke his heart even more.

"I...Veteran, I-I-"

"Save it. Just...Don't work yourself up, okay?" he interrupted, voice cracking. "...It'll just make it harder for both of us."

He rose his knife and took a deep breath before raising one of his feet off the ground.

"If I win, I'll give you an epic funeral. I promise."

What happened next was a blur. Player saw him advancing and attempted to block his attacks, Noob alongside him. But he was almost too fast with the knife to ward off; they didn't call him Veteran for nothing.

Noob made a move at his head, only for him to duck just in time...The sound of her gasping and the sight of her tensing up made it obvious that he'd landed a successful counterattack.

Her green jumpsuit ran red, and she toppled over...Player was down a teammate.

It was just the two of them now.

"Veteran...If we call this off now, we won't have to do this. W-we can just stop and...A-and we can go home."

"But forfeiting means we don't get the prize."

"We don't need it...After everything we've been through, I-I just want to make it out of this place alive. You and me. Together...Can't we...?"

The figure standing across from him sighed deeply.

"...We at least deserve it after everything we've been put through. Either you or me...It doesn't really matter anymore. As long as we don't hold back."

"Veteran?"

"After all...It's every man for himself, remember?" he finished, pointing his weapon again. "It's always been that way."