Chapter 09: School Reunion

After Rose had sent away the children wanting to get into the class, the Doctor and Echo began their work on the computer as Sarah and Rose watched on with worry. "I can't shift it." he muttered in frustration as he continued working.

"I thought the sonic screwdriver could open anything!" Sarah said with anxiety slowly creeping into her mind.

"Anything except a deadlock seal. There's got to be something inside here. What're they teaching those kids?" he wondered aloud grimacing.

Suddenly, strange green symbols on a spinning cube appeared as all the screens turned on by themselves. "You wanted the program? There it is." Sarah said as she stared at the largest screen at the front of the class.

"Some sort of code." the Doctor muttered as he tried to figure out what it was. Then he heard Echo gasp. As they all looked at her, they found her shaking her head with horror clear in her features. "Echo? What's wrong?"

She then met his gaze with wide eyes. "It's the Skasis Paradigm. I created it in order to keep others from becoming too powerful. They're trying to crack it." she revealed, making him blanch with shock. Not only was it a horrific thought for them to figure it out, but he was also taken extremely aback as she admitted to have been the one to have created it in the first place.

"The Skasis what?" 

"The God maker." he answered his former companion without taking his wide eyes off Echo. "The universal theory. Crack that equation and you've got control of the building blocks of the universe. Time and space and matter, yours to control."

"What, and the kids are like a giant computer?" Rose asked, equally horrified.

"Yes." The penny then dropped. "And their learning power is being accelerated by the oil. That oil from the kitchens, it works as a, as a conducting agent. Makes the kids cleverer."

"But that oil's on the chips. I've been eating them." Disgust filled her as concern began to take over, thinking of her health.

"What's two hundred and nine times forty-three?" Echo asked, her face was pale and her eyes still wide.

"Eight thousand, nine hundred and eighty-seven. Oh, my God." They both gave her a meaningful look.

Sarah then stepped forward a step, "But why use children? Can't they use adults?"

"No, it's got to be children. The God maker needs imagination to crack it. That's why Echo made it the way she did. They're not just using the children's brains to break the code, though. They're using their souls." he finished with rage filling him, the oncoming storm festering just beneath the surface. 

Seconds later, the headmaster entered the room with a smirk. "Let the lesson begin. Think of it, Doctor. With the Paradigm solved, reality becomes clay in our hands. We can shape the universe and improve it." he tried to entice, his greedy eyes continuously flashing over to Echo.

"Oh yeah? The whole creation with the face of Mister Finch? Call me old fashioned, but I like things as they are." the Doctor immediately denied sarcastically, stepping in front of Echo subtly.

"You act like such a radical, and yet all you want to do is preserve the old order? Think of the changes that could be made if this power was used for good." Echo glared at him dangerously. The whole point of her making the equation to begin with was to stop those like Mr. Finch from destroying the whole of reality on a whim, in an attempt to make it 'better'.

"What, by someone like you?" the Doctor asked incredulously, thinking the same thing as Echo.

"No, someone like you." the krillitane said with an evil glint to his eyes. "The Paradigm gives us power, but you could give us wisdom." He then looked to Echo, "If you give us the answer to your equation, you could both become gods at my side. Imagine what you two could do. Think of all the civilizations you could save. Perganon, Assinta. Your own people, Doctor, standing tall. The Time Lords reborn."