Chapter 37: The Impossible Planet

Robert Oxton Bolt once wrote, "A belief is not merely an idea that the mind possesses; it is an idea that possesses the mind."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"All none essential Oods to be confined." Zach announced over the tannoy.

Everyone was busy preparing for the dangerous mission they would soon embark on. "Capsule established. All systems functioning. The mineshaft is a go. Bringing systems online now." Ida said as she checked everything over again.

Both she and the Doctor were in spacesuits. "Reporting as a volunteer for the expeditionary force." he told the Captain, leaving no room for an argument.

Zach sighed heavily. "Doctor, this is breaking every single protocol. We don't even know who you are." 

The Time Lord then smiled, "Yeah, but you trust me, don't know you? And you can't let Ida go down there on her own." he coerced gently, knowing how to change a mind.

"I should be going down." the human leader said with a shake of his head. (that's what she said lol)

It was then the two-hearted alien's turn to disagree. "The captain doesn't lead the mission. He stays here, in charge."

"Not much good at it, am I?" he grumbled back, then shifted his focus on more important tasks. "Positions! We're going down in two. Everyone, positions! Mister Jefferson, I want maximum system enhancement."

Echo then walked over to her spacesuit clad Doctor with Rose as her side. "If you die down there, I'll bring you back just to kill you again." she said with a smile, not wanting her immense anxiety to show in the slightest. She needed to be strong so the incredible Time Lord could do his work without having to worry about her as well.

As Echo helped her love put his helmet on, Rose watched with a morose expression. "It's funny, because people back home think that space travel's going to be all whizzing about and teleports and anti-gravity. But it's not, is it? It's tough." she elaborated to her best friends.

The Doctor then gave the blonde a hug and a gentle smile. "I'll see both of you very soon."

"You better." Echo mumbled, pulling him into one last desperate hug. She didn't like it when he put himself in danger but she knew better than almost anyone that it had to be done.

"Capsule active. Counting down in ten, nine--" said Zach as everyone worked to get the expedition crew completely secured from any major problems that were eager to take control without them even noticing. "Eight, seven, six--" The Doctor and Ida walked into the awaiting capsule. Jefferson then securely closed the door. "Five, four, three, two, one. Release." The capsule was then steadily descending into the non anticipatable danger the darkness no doubt contained. Both Rose and Echo where watching their progress with strong worry poisoning their every thought. "You've just gone beyond the oxygen field. You're on your own." That was when Ida and the Doctor turned their life support systems on.

Only moments later did the descending capsule shudder more violently than it should have, then seemed to drop. Unbeknownst to them, all Ood in Ood Habitation suddenly stood up simultaneously and stared up at Danny and the only guard present. "Doctor? Doctor, are you all right?" Rose quickly asked over the intercom.

Echo typed in the computer and saw that they had reached the bottom. "We're fine and have made it. Getting out of the capsule now." came the Doctor's reassuring voice.

"Do you see anything?" asked his one and only love.

"It's hard to tell. Some sort of cave. Cavern. It's massive, though." he replied as he analyzed all he could see.