Chapter 126: The Last of the Time Lords

The following day, everyone had been gathered in the flight deck once again. For the news that the human companion had been captured was announced and known to all. Clive, Francine and Tish were on one side as Jack, Echo and the caged Doctor were on the other. "Citizens of Earth, rejoice and observe." Martha was then brought in by her guards. Once she was standing before the watching Master, she made sure to look only at him. "Your teleport device, in case you thought I'd forgotten." Without hesitation or any outward emotion, she threw him the vortex manipulator. "And now, kneel. Down below, the fleet is ready to launch. Two hundred thousand ships set to burn across the universe. Are we ready?"

"The fleet awaits your signal. Rejoice!" a man informed.

He nodded with pleasure. "Three minutes to align the black hole converters. Counting down. I never could resist a ticking clock. My children, are you ready?"

"We will fly and blaze and slice. We will fly and blaze and slice." they chanted in unison.

The Master's grin intensified. "At zero, to mark this day, the child Martha Jones will die." he declared confidently. "My first blood. Any last words? No? Such a disappointment, this one. Days of old, Doctor, you had companions who could absorb the time vortex. You once had Echo, the smartest and most powerful being in the multiverse. This one's useless." he complained, and got back on track. "Bow your head. And so it falls to me, as the Master of all, to establish from this day, a new order of Time Lords. From this day forward--" He was then cut off by laughter from none other than Martha herself. "What. What's so funny?" he demanded as Echo smiled for the first time in a whole year.

"A gun." she simply said.

His brows furrowed in confusion. "What about it?"

"A gun in four parts?"

His annoyance increased as she confidently looked him in the eyes. "A gun in four parts scattered across the world? I mean, come on, did you really believe that?" she practically taunted, channeling her inner Echo. 

The Master paused with genuine befuddlement. "What do you mean?" he asked sternly.

"As if I would ask her to kill." the Doctor commented, making Echo stand up and a dark smile like that of a sadistic serial killer mid slaughter.

Not wanting to believe they had any leverage over him, he shook his head. "Oh well, it doesn't matter. I've got her exactly where I want her." he tried to threaten, but his uneasiness was unignorable.

Martha continued with great purpose in every syllable. "But I knew what Professor Docherty would do. The Resistance knew about her son. I told her about the gun, so she'd get me here at the right time."

"Oh, but you're still going to die." he tried to counter, though was surprised with her blatant undeterred attitude.

"Don't you want to know what I was doing, traveling the world?" she challenged without fear.

He glared impatiently, "Tell me."

Martha's smugness was practically radiating from her like heat from flame. "I told a story, that's all. No weapons, just words. I did just what the Doctor said. I went across the continents all on my own. And everywhere I went, I found the people, and told them my story. I told them about the Doctor. And I told them to pass it on, to spread the word so that everyone would know about the Doctor." she explained, noticing Echo's eager smile in the corner of her eye.

The Master gave her a disbelieving look, still not seeing the bigger picture. "Faith and hope? Is that all?"

Her smile became more apparent. "No, because I gave them an instruction, just as the Doctor said. I told them that if everyone thinks of one word, at one specific time--"