Chapter 10: The Girl in the Fireplace

The Tardis materialized on a spaceship with a long central hub and two rotating sections, one larger than the other. As they all walked out of the blue doors, Mickey's eyes widened in awe. "It's a spaceship. Brilliant! I got a spaceship on my first go."

Around them were lots of bits and pieces of equipment scattered around. "It looks kind of abandoned. Anyone on board?" Rose asked as she looked around in confusion. Usually there'd either be people or an alert to their presence.

"Nah, nothing here. Well, nothing dangerous. Well, not that dangerous.... You know what, I'll just have a quick scan. In case there's anything dangerous." the Doctor elaborated as he turned to the controls in front of him.

Echo snorted in amusement, "With our luck, it'll be like that movie 'Alien' with Sigourney Weaver." she mumbled, making him smirk as he kept his eyes on the screen.

"So, what's the date? How far we gone?" Rose asked as she continued to look around.

"About three thousand years into your future, give or take." The Doctor then flipped a switch, making part of the ceiling move to reveal the stars around them. "Fifty first century. Diagmar Cluster. You're a long way from home, Mickey. Two and a half galaxies."

Rose stood beside him as they looked out into the vast, beautiful view. "Mickey Smith, meet the universe. See anything you like?"

"It's so realistic!" he exclaimed with joy, making Echo laugh happily.

"Dear me, had some cowboys in here. Got a ton of repair work going on. Now that's odd. Look at that. All the warp engines are going. Full capacity. There's enough power running through this ship to punch a hole in the universe, but we're not moving. So where's all that power going?" The Doctor said to himself and partially to Echo. She walked over and stood at his side as she too looked over the information being given.

"You're right. It's all frazzled." Echo muttered as she tried to get a clearer reading on the power flux. "But where's the crew? Wouldn't someone have noticed that we're here? Someone usually does."

The Doctor nodded, "Good point. No life readings on board apart from us."

"Well, we're in deep space. They didn't just nip out for a quick fag." Rose said sarcastically.

"No, I've checked all the smoking pods." he replied absently, not catching her tone. "Can you smell that?"

"Yeah, someone's cooking." Rose said as she tried to place the scent.

"Sunday roast, definitely." Mickey agreed.

But Echo shook her head, "It's different from that. It's more pronounced. Almost human." she mumbled with furrowed brow, taking a deep breath. She then pressed a few buttons and flipped a switch that opened a door behind them.

As they walked into the new room, they found the far wall to be panelled, containing a blazing fire in an ornate fireplace. An ormolu clock was sat on the mantlepiece. "Well, there's something you don't see in your average spaceship." the Doctor muttered as he analyzed the fireplace. "Eighteenth century. French. Nice mantle. Not a hologram. It's not even a reproduction. This actually is an eighteenth century French fireplace. Double sided. There's another room through there." 

"There can't be. That's the outer hull of the ship. Look." Rose said as she looked out a small porthole to see nothing but stars. He and Echo then knelt down to see a young girl in a nightgown on the other side knelt by the fire. 

"Hello, young one." Echo said kindly with a smile.

"Hello." the little girl greeted in confusion.

"What's your name?" the Doctor asked just as softly, not wanting to scare her.