Chapter 2: An Awkward Encounter

MADELINE

As I enter the Avengers compound with Steve Rogers I am filled with emotion.

This place is amazing.

Steve is walking fast, he clearly has a purpose and knows where he is going and I am trying to take in everything as quickly as possible. Everything is magnificent.

I have dreamt of being in this place since I first learnt of my powers and what I could possibly use them for. We walk through the halls and at a certain point, Steve stops in front of an elevator.

"This is the main level. This is the level where most agents are and work. We are going to the top level. That is where the Avengers reside."

As he says the words I feel a lump in my throat. I am going to the Avengers level. To live there. Am I worthy of this?

Before I can finish my thought, the elevator arrives.

I step inside a steel elevator with glass sides that allow me to take in the beauty of the compound while we travel upwards.

Steve seems like a robot riding the elevator - he mainly looks towards the doors and only briefly glances at me while I am observing the compound.

I see the nature and grass beyond us. I see the lower levels and I see the garden in the middle. This place is scary, intimidating but oh so beautiful.

The elevator dings as we arrive. "This is it" I hear him say before he exits.

I walk out to a hallway. He points around and tells me the basics "Kitchen, common area, laundry room if you need it."

He keeps talking and mentioning as we walk through the building.

"This is where Tony does some of his work but he also has a lab on the bottom floor. We have a medical lab here for emergencies but otherwise the second level is all medical if needed."

Everything is a blur as he walks me through these great halls. I am overwhelmed and have trouble focusing until he finally says "These are the living quarters. My room is there and yours is right over here".

He walks me to a room that looks like any other hotel room but the only thing I really notice is that his room is only two doors down.

As I walk into a room that is beautiful and modern but at the same time entirely ordinary, Steve says "this is your room. Feel free to decorate as you like. You have a bedroom and your own bathroom. We are lucky because we live pretty close to the kitchen and common room. When Natasha and Wanda are here they have a lot further."

I stand in disbelief of the situation I am in.

This is mine?

I turn to look at Steve. "Are you serious?"

He looks at me with furrowed eyebrows "Why, do you not like it?"

I quickly answer "Yes, of course I do. But this is just too much. It's unbelievable."

I look around my room and I am pretty much in a daze until I feel his gaze on me. I turn around again and as I do, I see him looking at me.

I look into his eyes and he says "I know it might be intimidating right now but you will fit in soon enough."

I hold his gaze and reply "Thank you, Captain. I hope so."

-----

The sun rises around me and my room is slowly filled with light.

I wake up in a haze.

At first I don't realize where I am and I panic, but after a second I remember.