Chapter 5: Electric

MADELINE

I look back at Wanda and we talk a bit more.

I tell her how I feel - how I have always felt a connection to Steve Rogers, even when he didn't know me, and how its making me unable to think around him.

As I explain my feelings, Wanda seems understanding. She asks me all these questions that I never knew I needed the answers to.

Like, do I like Steve Rogers or Captain America? For they are not the same. They might be the same person but an infatuation with the Captain does not equal feelings for Steve.

She also tells me about his past and she tells me to do my research.

She asks if I truly do know Steve.

Of course I don't, I only just met him, I just know what the public knows.

And that's when she goes onto my computer to find something. A documentary done back in the 90's about Steve Rogers becoming Captain America and everything that happened back then. Even Peggy makes an appearance.

I look up from the computer and stare at Wanda.

"I think you should watch it," she says. "It would give you a better idea of what you're dealing with right now."

I nod in silence.

As Wanda stands up she grabs my hand and says "I just want you to be sure. Whatever happens, just be sure."

We lock eyes and I understand that she is genuinely concerned for me and the feelings I might have for the greatest hero known to this world.

And as she leaves my room I know she is right.

I sit back on the bed and turn on the documentary.

It has footage from back when Captain America was created - from when Steve was just a skinny kid from Brooklyn and then what happened after.

It shows Peggy speaking about him and it's obvious that she loves him. There's even a clip of him holding this picture of her in his pocket.

After Steve disappeared in the ice he was presumed dead.

I mean, it seems obvious that you would come to that conclusion and the documentary even features that.

We see footage of Steve during his original Captain America work and then as he goes into war - and then Peggy.

Always Peggy.

She is everywhere.

And even as an older lady with greying hair she is still speaking about him. She married and had children but she still speaks of him in this way... you just know. She loved him.

As the documentary ends I pause it on my computer and put my head in my hands. I want to cry because the whole thing is so emotional for so many reasons, the main one being that I wish they could have been together and had each other.

The other one being that I know I won't ever live up to that.

What the fuck is wrong with me?

As I sit on my bed with the laptop beside me and my head in my hands the door opens.

Someone too familiar walks in.

"Madeline. Can we talk?" Steve says as he walks through the door.

As he closes the door and walks further into my room I look up and he sees my face.

I look at this beautiful man before me that I always adored at a distance without knowing him and he looks back at me and then to my computer. In an instance he realizes.