Chapter 27: Invasion of Privacy

MADELINE

I wake up in Steve's room, his arms wrapped tightly around me.

After last night we were both emotionally drained and I fell asleep with my head on his chest, listening to his heartbeat.

I'm still trying to process the whole thing, it all happened so fast. I'm not sure I'm ready to deal with it all yet.

Steve is snoring softly in my ear. I'm lying with my back to him and he is holding me close, spooning me.

I glance around his room as I wait for him to wake up, being careful not to move too much so as not to disturb him.

We are usually always in my room so I haven't really ever noticed the things he has.

The first thing I spot is the giant shield sitting on the ground, leaning against a bookcase. I smile slightly as I look at it and remember that Captain America is spooning me right now.

Captain America loves me. Me. It seems like a teenage girl fantasy.

I keep looking around and notice the books upon books he has. I never quite noticed just how many there are. The bookcase is filled with them and there are even more piles on the floor. On his desk he has a laptop, a reading light and then even more books stacked.

Most books that I notice are history books. I see titles such as 'The Cold War', '102 Minutes: The Untold Story of the Fight to Survive Inside the Twin Towers' and even 'The Secret Man: The Story of Watergate's Deep Throat'. I also see Barack Obama's 'The Audacity of Hope'. I guess he did have a lot to catch up on, going in the ice in 1945 and then coming back in the 21st century.

I also see some fiction titles. Most notable is 'Catcher in the Rye', 'To Kill a Mockingbird', 'Beloved' and even 'American Psycho', which is a surprise to me.

I feel Steve stir behind me, almost like he knows that I am shamelessly invading his privacy. I feel a little guilty, considering how private I know he is, but I also think he wouldn't necessarily mind me gaining a bit more insight into him as a person.

I feel his hot breath against my neck as he speaks.

"Good morning beautiful". He kisses my neck as he squeezes me even tighter to him.

I turn around to face him and I smile at him as I say, "Good morning handsome."

He gives me a shy smile and leans down to kiss me.

As he pulls back he says, "How long have you been awake?"

"Oh just a little while," I say, yawning. "Long enough for me to invade your privacy." I give him a cheeky smile.

"Oh yeah?", he says, chuckling. "How so?"

"Just looking at your reading materials. I didn't know you read that much."

Steve glances behind me as I say it and chuckles again.

"Yeah, I had a lot to catch up on when I came back. The world really came into its own between 1950 and the early 2000's. I missed a lot." He looks down at me and I meet his gaze.

"I figured as much," I say as I curl in closer to him. I wrap my arm around his torso and he rolls onto his back. I put my head on his chest as I whisper, "This is my favorite place."

He kisses the top of my head and whispers back, "Mine too... So what do you say we stay here today? I'm not in the mood to deal with anything yet."

I look up at him with a smile, "I'd love to. We can watch movies and you can show me your favorite books. Oh and we also have to talk about last night."

Steve sighs and releases our eye contact as he looks at the ceiling. "I know we do," he says, "I owe you an apology and an explanation."

I furrow my eyebrows at him, "For what?"

He looks back down at me with a confused look. "For the whole thing with Tony?"

"Oh that's not what I want to talk about," I say calmly.

"Oh.. what then?" He asks.

"I wanna talk about the fact that you moved Thor's hammer but pretended you didn't."

I move my head up to face him better and his eyes widens at my statement. I look him directly in the eyes as I raise my eyebrows at him.

He chuckles and pulls me closer to him.

"Okay, yeah.. That.. We can talk about that." He says while pulling me in for a kiss.

"Oh and there's one more thing," I quickly say as I pull away from the kiss. "I also wanna talk about that whole Sharon situation. Because that is weird as fuck." I say teasingly and he tickles my sides.

"Hey! Language!" He says as he rolls me over, hovering over me. He leans down and kisses me again. He leans down close to my ear and whispers, "We can do whatever you want to do."

"Oh really? Whatever I want?" I ask him as he kisses my neck. He hums.

"I think I have some ideas then." I say as I wrap my hands behind his neck and pull him into a deep, passionate kiss.