Chapter 119: Ready

MADELINE

The next day I wake up with both of them nestled up against me, holding me close. I'm on my back as they each have their arms around me, their legs completely tangled with mine. I'm practically being smothered but I don't mind. I've missed them so much, I want them as close to me as possible. 

I blink a little as my eyes adjust to the sunlight streaming into my room through the drapes. 

They want me to go to Wakanda. 

I don't even know if I need to go, but they both think it would be for the best. And for once, I won't fight them. I have a nagging feeling in my stomach that they're both right. 

Bucky knew exactly what I was talking about when I told him about my thoughts. Which means he's right - at least about some of it. How else would he know? 

So often that voice in my head has been there, confusing me about everything. So often it has steered me wrong. 

Like when I left. 

I remember listening to it, packing my stuff, and then leaving. Leaving them. The loves of my life. 

And not only that, it made me stay away. For two whole months. Telling me I was doing the right thing, that it was better for them without me. That they were better off without me. 

Clearly the thoughts were wrong back then. I have no idea how I was able to stay away for that long. Whenever I'm with them, I feel at peace, and as soon as I'm not I start unravelling. I get nightmares, I doubt myself, I lose control of my mind.

And the thoughts only amplify all of that. 

But when I left, I was with them. The voice still told me to leave. Why was I hearing it back then?

And that's when I realize. I've heard it before, many times. But ever since I met Steve, they haven't been there.

The thoughts didn't come back until Bucky came back into my life. 

And the day that I left, I realized I loved him. The voice is telling me to stay away from him, to not be with him. 

So I'll do the exact opposite. 

I'll never listen to it again.

... 

"Where are you going?" I ask Bucky as he starts to get up from bed. 

Steve left earlier to go meet with Tony, to talk to him about us leaving, and Bucky and I have stayed in bed until now, cuddling.

He chuckles, "Going to take a shower, doll."

I grab onto him and pull him back down, "No."

He cocks an eyebrow at me, "No?"

"No." I reply with a pout and then I crawl on top of him, my legs on either side of his waist, before I lie down on his chest. His arms wrap around me, pulling me close to him.

He chuckles again, "You're really needy this morning."

I look up at him, "Is that a problem?"

His metal hand brushes the hair off my face as he smiles, "No, not at all."

"Good," I reply before plopping my head back on his chest.

After a while I move my head to the crook of his neck and nuzzle into him. I move my fingers languidly across his chest, caressing the chain of his dog tags before moving to the scars on his shoulders.