Chapter 50: Guilty

BUCKY 

I watch as Maddie moves out of my touch and runs towards Steve. 

He catches her as she jumps into his embrace, wrapping her arms tightly around him. He lifts her up, one leg on each side of him, and leans in to kiss her deeply. 

I feel instant jealousy at the sight. 

As he pulls away, Steve looks at me and our eyes meet. 

"Hey Buck," he says as he gives me a soft smile. Maddie is still clinging to him as he holds her up with his hands on the back of her thighs. 

"Hey pal," I reply back and Maddie looks over her shoulder, her eyes pleading.

I have no idea how to act or what to say right now. 

If Steve hadn't walked in at this exact moment, I would probably have tried to kiss his girlfriend. Again. 

And she would probably have hated me for it. Again. 

And once he finds out what I did, she won't be the only one hating me. 

I know I'm stepping over the line. I've always known. 

I've known I stepped over the line ever since I realized I love her and he does too. I might have loved her first, but he told her first. He showed her first. I can never blame him for that. 

I shift my eyes to the ground, too guilty to hold Steve's gaze any longer. 

"Is everything alright?" He asks as he looks from me to Maddie, still in his arms. I glance back up and see her nod slightly before leaning her head on his shoulder. 

"I missed you so much," she whispers. Normal people probably wouldn't have heard it, but I do. And she knows I do. 

Steve gives her a small smile in response and kisses her cheek. "I missed you too, sweetheart." 

I walk towards them and I see Maddie watching me carefully as I do. She's probably worried I'll tell him before she gets the chance to. But I won't.

And I'll do both of them a favor by leaving tomorrow morning so I won't be a distraction. 

I've done enough damage already.