Chapter 61: I Won't Ask You Again

MADELINE

I furrow my brows at Bucky as he says it. 

"What?" 

He moves to look at me and he has a sad expression on his face. 

"You wouldn't remember.." He says quietly and I take a step back from him. 

"You were there when they did this to me.. And you remember?" My voice is shaking as I speak.

"Yes, I remember everything." he says quietly, looking down at the ground. 

My breath hitches and I take another step back, stumbling as I do. Steve is behind me and grabs me before I fall, pulling me tightly to him, my back against his front, his arms wrapped around my waist. 

I knew Bucky was there for a lot of the times they tortured me. But I don't remember this. 

Why don't I remember this? 

I never understood why or how I got my powers. Where they came from. 

But Bucky did, he has known this entire time. He has watched me train, watched what happened to me, and he still never told me. 

And I didn't know he remembered. I knew he remembered parts, I knew he had nightmares - I do too. But I didn't know he remembered everything. 

Did he have a part in what happened to me?

He turns to me as I look at him scared. "Maddie," he says quietly, walking towards me. 

"I know you don't remember everything and I know I never told you that I do. But please.." 

I avert my eyes from his gaze and look down to Steve's arms, holding me close.

Bucky sighs as he moves closer to me, "Please look at me." 

I shake my head silently. 

"Yes, doll, look at me." 

As he calls me doll it takes everything in me to not run into his arms. I get flashbacks of only moments earlier where his lips were on mine. 

I reluctantly look up and meet his gaze, "I will explain everything to you," he says, glancing around, "but I can't do it here." 

I nod, understanding what he means. 

I look up at Steve holding me and he nods silently before turning to Tony. 

"Tony, we need to have a moment alone, please. Maddie was not aware of all of this. We're going to go back to her room and we'll be back once she's processed everything. Is that okay?"

Tony nods, his brows furrowed as he looks at me, "Yes, that's fine Cap. Maddie, come see me if you need to. Okay?" 

I meet his eyes and nod quickly, "I will, Tony. Thanks." 

...

Steve's hand is tightly around my waist as we walk back to my room. Bucky walks on the other side of Steve, clearly keeping his distance from me.

My mind is scattered and I have so many questions. 

How does he remember everything?

Why don't I remember this? 

What was that thing and what does it mean when it comes to me?

Where do my powers come from?

But the most important question running through my mind is..

Did he have a part in it?

Steve opens the door and guides me inside. He sits down on my bed and pulls me with him, placing me close against him. He moves my legs to rest on top of his and his hands move up and down them softly, soothing me.