Chapter 40: Green Is On Theme

MADELINE

After lunch we walk around Williamsburg a little more and we all do some shopping. 

Nat and Wanda both find clothes they like, Nat having chosen a very tight dress she plans on wearing to Tony's next party. Despite him not having invited to a party they're both quite adamant that it won't be long until the next one. Apparently he throws a lot of parties. 

Wanda finds a beautiful A-line dress that reminds me of what women wore back in the 50's. It suits her perfectly, a pastel green color. She looks like a character taken straight out of 'I Love Lucy'. 

We walk down the street and I spot a lingerie store a little away. 

"Can we go in there?" I ask them casually and they both smirk at me and nod. 

We walk into the store and they have a lot of different stuff - some of it very sexy and other things more subtle. 

I look around the store and set my sights on a pale blue matching set of bra and panties, all lacy and see-through. 

"That won't be very practical for work but it might be practical for other stuff," Nat comments as she see's me looking at it. I laugh, "Yeah, in fact, I have a feeling the Captain might like this one." 

"The Captain? You usually call him Steve," Nat says as she cocks an eyebrow at me.

I blush instantly, realizing my slip up, and she reads my face like a book, "Ohh, is that what you call him in these types of situations, then? Interesting." 

I nudge her lightly as I laugh. "I think you should go look at that green set over there. It's on theme," pulling her towards a pale green set of bra and panties.

She glares at me, "Why buy something I'll never use?" She hangs the set back with a sigh. 

Wanda notices her reaction and moves next to me, us both looking at Nat as she lightly touches the lingerie set with a solemn look on her face. 

"What's going on Nat? Did something happen? I thought you liked the whole 'pursuing' thing." I ask her as I touch her shoulder gently.

"I do," she says, "I love the chase and it has been a chase for a long time. But after the party, now everyone knows. I haven't heard from or seen Bruce in 2 days and he didn't even dare look at me after Tony found out. I don't know, I'm starting to think I should just stop wasting my time." 

I glance towards Wanda and she looks at me with a worried look. 

"Nat, if you have true feelings for him, maybe you should just tell him," she says as she looks at her friend, clearly affected by this. 

Personally, I think Nat is a catch and I'm surprised she would even be in this situation. She is one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen and I believe she could get any guy she wants. I understand that Bruce is shy and perhaps scared he won't be able to keep up with her. But I'm surprised he's letting it stop him - he's brilliant, and kind, and funny and I believe that they would compliment each other well - having a lot in common while still being wildly different.

"He's too shy for his own good," I mumble as I look down to the lingerie set Nat is still touching lightly. "I agree with Wanda, decide how important it is to you. If you truly have feelings for him, find out if he feels the same or move on. This can't be good for anyone." 

Nat sighs as she looks up at me. "Yeah, I guess you're right. I'm just afraid it would ruin things."

"Didn't you just say it was already ruined in a sense?" I ask her as I meet her eyes. 

She nods slightly. 

"Alright. Here's my suggestion then. Buy the set. Talk to him. If it fails, you can always return it." 

She chuckles, "Alright I will. Are you getting that?" She gestures to the pale blue set in my hand. 

"Yeah, I am." 

Nat walks to the counter and Wanda follows her. As I am about to go myself I spot a black, heavy laced set in the corner. I move quickly towards it and study it. It is laced and see-through with a thick leather edge on it, framing it. The leather a stark contrast to the soft lace. I glance quickly around, grabbing a set in my size. 

As Nat walks back out I sneak the set with me and buy both without them noticing. 

I know for sure who that blue set was intended for but as I glance down at the black one, I feel my stomach flutter. 

Might be intended for something, or someone, a bit darker. But I'm taking my own advice on this one -  if I don't find a use for it, I'll just return it..