Chapter 195: Miscalculations

MADELINE

"Bruce?" I say hesitantly as I walk up to him where he's sitting on the couch, "Could I ask you for a favor?"

I barely made my way through breakfast. I had a piece of toast and the entire time I had to work hard not to get sick again.

So as soon as everyone else left to go on a walk, I took my chance and told Steve and Bucky that I would be staying back to check up on my apartment and job back at New Orleans, and they quickly accepted my excuse as they joined the others for a walk through the woods.

Bruce also stayed back to do some work. Besides, his arm is still in a sling which makes trekking through the woods pretty risky.

"Sure," Bruce says as he looks up at me, "Is everything okay?"

"I don't know," I say with a sigh, "I've been feeling a little.. off. Pepper said you could check that everything was alright with me."

Bruce nods, "Sure, I can do that. I can take your blood and run it through one of my medical devices, if you want?"

I chew on my bottom lip nervously as he says it, not sure if that would give me the results I need to know about.

"Would that.. Would that make you able to tell whether or not.." I trail off, clearing my throat as I look at him before gaining the courage to say, "Whether or not I'm pregnant?"

Bruces eyes slowly widen as my words sink in, "Oh.." He furrows his brows, tilting his head slightly as he looks at me, "If that's what you want checked, I have other ways of doing it."

"You do?" I ask, raising my brows in surprise.

"Yes," he says hesitantly, "Tony developed a bunch of different maternity devices when Pepper was pregnant. Apparently he realized the industry was severely underdeveloped on that area. With a blood and urine sample I could tell you if you are, but also how far along you are. I could even tell you who the father is, depending on how far along you are. I also have a more complicated device that can scan your uterus, but a blood and urine sample would suffice in this case."

I widen my eyes at him, "Oh.. And how long does it take to know?"

"10 minutes, more or less," he replies as he looks at me, "The tech pretty much does everything for me. I just need your sample."

...

I'm sitting on the couch next to Bruce, fiddling with my thumbs as we wait for the result.

"Should be any minute now," Bruce says calmly as he watches the screen.

I nod, not glancing towards the screen he's watching, choosing to stay focused on my thumbs.

My nerves are getting the best of me and I feel every single emotion running through my body right now.

"Alright, we have some results coming in," Bruce says and it makes me snap my head to the side to look at him.

When he furrows his brows at the results it only makes me more nervous.

"This can't be right," he mumbles as he starts tapping on the screen, "I think there's a mistake."

"What?" I ask him as I try to decipher the words on the screen, "Why? What's wrong, Bruce?"

Bruce frowns as he reads the data, "It says.. Maddie, it says that you're more than a month along."

"So I'm pregnant?" I ask him with wide eyes.

"Yes," he says with a nod, seemingly not understanding what a major deal that is.

My heart stops in my chest at the information.

I'm pregnant. Oh my god.

I can't believe this. I mean, I can, we've been trying, but I didn't realize it would happen this fast. 

I'm pregnant. I'm having a baby. 

We're having a baby. 

My mind starts wandering until I feel Bruce putting a hand on my shoulder, his voice faint over the sound of my own heart beat strumming in my ears, "Did you hear what I just said?"

I shake my head slightly to declutter my mind, "Uh, no, sorry.. What?"

"It says here you're more than a month along."

I furrow my brows as I glance down at the device before looking back up at him, "That's impossible. I know you might not believe me, but I swear, I haven't been with anyone while Steve and Bucky were gone. It can't be a month."

"The data must be wrong," Bruce mutters as he taps the screen, and I nod at him.

He brings the tablet towards me and asks hesitantly, "Can I.. Could I just scan you for a second?"

I look at him in confusion before he brings the tablet towards my stomach, making me realize what he means.

I nod, "Y-yeah, okay, sure.."

He holds it in front of my stomach and I watch his face as he does.

His brows furrows into an even deeper frown as he studies the information popping up on the screen. 

"This can't be right.." he mumbles, his eyes darting over the words quickly, "If you're telling the truth, then this is impossible.."

"What?" I ask as I scan his face, "Bruce, what?"

He looks at me earnestly, "Maddie, you are definitely more than just a week along. This looks closer to a month, as I said before.. Are you sure it couldn't be anyone else's?"

"Yes!" I exclaim in annoyance, "I would remember if someone else fucked me!"

Bruce sighs, looking back at the screen again, his brows now seemingly permanently furrowed. "But thats.." He shakes his head in disbelief as he keeps looking at the data, "It makes no.." he trails off as he keeps his eyes on the tablet and I watch his face.

Then his eyes suddenly grow wide, his face turning pale as he looks from the tablet up at me.

"What?" I hurriedly ask, "Bruce, what?"

He shakes his head as he looks at me, mumbling, "No, its not possible.."

"Bruce," I say sternly, "What?"

"Maddie.. Is there any possibility you could have been pregnant before Thanos snapped his fingers?"