Chapter 15: Biggest Fear

MADELINE

After this morning, Steve and I went and had breakfast together. He made me eggs and cut up fruit and the entire time I got to enjoy the view of Captain America cooking me breakfast. We ate together and after that I had a training session with Wanda.

The session went well - my powers are getting stronger but my sessions with Wanda are helping me control them a lot. She is much stronger than I thought - I knew she could manipulate minds and objects but I never knew the extent of her powers.

Wanda decided to take it slow today considering my recent condition, and so to avoid me exhausting myself too quickly, she shows me the different ways her powers work and how she can manipulate them to work in differing situations. It's very fascinating how she is able to manipulate telekinesis, not just mind control but controlling objects, and at the same time being able to use them for power bursts and flying. As she shows me the different ways I wonder if I will be able to manipulate mine in the same way some day.

"Are you ready?" She asks me. I am with my back to her and before I know it she's in my head.

The entire scenery changes. I am no longer in the training room. I am outside, the ground looks scorched. All around me I see bodies lying on the ground. The sky is dark, gloomy. There are no stars, no city lights. The air is foggy and smells of smoke. Everything in this place seems.. dead. Hopeless.

I turn around, looking at my surroundings. And that's when I see it.

The damaged shield, lying on the ground, shattered into pieces.

I panic, frantically I start looking around for him, screaming his name.

That's when I suddenly wake up on the ground, back in the training center.

"WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!" I yell at Wanda. Why would she make me see that?!

"Maddie! I didn't do that, you did. All I did was show you your fear. That's the thing I showed everyone else when I first met them."

I look up at her in shock, slightly shaking.
"Did you see what I saw?" I ask her, my voice almost a scared whimper.

"Yes. I saw. I think that's what you're most afraid of right now." She says, putting her hand on my arm.

"What?" I ask her as she pulls me into a tight hug.

She holds me close as she answers, "Losing Steve Rogers."

STEVE

After having breakfast with Madeline she had training and I got called in for a meeting with Tony and Fury. I go to the conference room and they are both already there. I sit down at the table and they both join me. "So," I say, "What's this all about?"

I look at Tony who looks to Fury.

Fury speaks, "Well Captain Rogers, we have made a decision on behalf of the team and we thought you'd want to be the first to know."

He looks at something behind me and I turn my head to see what he's looking at. "Hey Pal" Bucky says, standing in the doorway, smiling broadly at me.
I stand up quickly and hurry to him.
"Bucky! You're back!" I pull him in for a hug and continue, "How are you doing?" He smiles at me and looks to his arm, then back at me.

"I'm doing good, Shuri seems to have been able to fix the last remaining programming. I'm back for good this time."

I lightly tap his shoulder, excited by his news. "That's great! Where are you staying now?" I ask him.

"That's why we're here, Capsicle. Fury and I have been discussing what we're going to do about Barnes moving forward.." I turn around to see Tony looking at me and when his eyes shift to Bucky he gives him a reassuring smile. "I thought he might be a good addition to the team. For now. We'll see how it goes."

I look at Tony shocked. I would have never thought he would be okay with having Bucky back here.

"Really Tony?" I answer him, hopeful.

Fury nods, "We need him on the team. We've been talking with one of my contacts and something's going on. We're going to need all the help we can get."