Chapter 26: I Love You

STEVE

I storm off in a rage. I can't believe Tony would do this.

I know we've been in a rough patch but it's been better lately. I cannot believe he said the things he did. That he sees me that way.

I enter my room and slam the door behind me.

As I sit down on my bed I put my head in my hands. Poor Madeline. What must she think of me now?

As I'm sitting there, enveloped in my own destructive thoughts, I hear a soft knock on my door. Before I can answer, the door opens and Maddie walks in, closing it behind her.

She stands by the door for a second and I look up to meet her eyes. As we lock eyes she moves to the bed and sits next to me, taking one of my hands in hers.

"Steve.." She says, hesitating. I look at her and it makes the guilt even worse.

"Maddie. Please don't. I'm so sorry for this." I say, still angry but it fades away with every second of her being close to me.

"Steve, it's not your fault. I had no idea it would go down like that. I had no idea Tony would react like that. I didn't know your relationship was strained." She is looking down at our joined hands, caressing my hand with her thumb as she speaks.

I look at her and she meets my eyes once again, "Me neither," I say, "I'm just.. sorry you had to watch that." I scan her face for a reaction but she doesn't look at me with an upset or scared look.

She moves closer to me and I lean in to give her a short kiss.

"It's okay Stevie. I was just worried about you." She leans her head on my shoulder and I wrap my arm around her waist.

"So.." I say, "I guess everyone knows now."

She chuckles a bit and looks up at me, her head still on my shoulder.

"Yeah, I guess they do. I don't mind though, this will make things a lot easier for us."

I kiss her tentatively, unsure of how she feels about me right now.

She moves her hands behind my neck and pulls me closer to her, kissing me deeply.

"I love you, Steve Rogers", she says as she pulls back from the kiss and meets my gaze.

"I love you too, sweetheart. I won't ever let anything bad happen to you. I hope you know that." I kiss her again and wrap my arms around her, pulling her close to me.