Chapter 162: The Beginning

MADELINE

I wake up wedged in the middle of Steve and Bucky, their limbs tangled around me. 

My heart flutters at the feeling because, despite the fact that I never get any space to sleep anymore... I wouldn't give up this feeling for anything in the world. 

I know that they're my whole world, they occupy my entire heart. 

I have no idea what I would ever do without them. 

I was unsure about this whole thing before we came to Wakanda. I was always doubting them, and myself. 

But in the days that has passed since Shuri took out that thing in my neck, it's become clear that the doubt wasn't real. 

It all came from Hydra. 

I should have gotten rid of that thing the second she found it. 

Which is why I don't regret, even for a second, asking her to remove it when I did. 

"I need your help." 

Shuri looks at me expectantly, and I can tell she has an inkling of what I'm about to ask of her, but that she's too afraid to assume anything, not wanting to break the trust we share.

"I want it out," I say as I look at her, "Take it out, please. Take it out. Now. I can't stand the thought of it being inside me any longer." 

"Maddie," she says as she walks towards me cautiously, "Are you sure about this?" 

"Yes." 

She sighs, "Just a few days ago, you told me you weren't ready for this. What changed your mind?" 

"I know what I want now. I want them, both of them, forever. I don't want anything to keep me from that. If it happens, it happens. If I get pregnant, I know they would both love me endlessly, and stay by my side through it all. I'm not worried anymore." 

"Are you sure you're not just making a rash decision?" She asks, scanning my face. 

"Yes, I'm sure," I say as I hold her gaze, "My gut is telling me I need to do this now. I don't want to be under Hydra's control any more. And the past few days have proven to me that I don't need to be afraid of the future. No matter what happens, I have them. They will be there for me, through anything. I'm sure." 

"Alright," she says with a nod, "Then sit down and let's get this thing out of you." 

My mind snaps back to the present when I feel Steve stir against me. 

We slept in today, it got later than usual last night. And I know we won't have been the only ones, everyone is probably hungover after last night. Especially the girls. 

The only ones I know of who needed to get up early were Tony and Bruce, as they had a conference back in New York today. 

"Hey," Steve whispers to avoid waking up Bucky, "How do you feel?" 

"Good," I say with a wide smile, "It's my birthday." 

He chuckles, "I know it is, sweetheart. I have a lot planned for today." 

"You do?" I ask as I beam at him. 

"Yeah, Buck and I have been planning it since we found out. First we're going to have lunch at the meadow you went to, and then to the market before going for dinner, and then-" 

Steve is cut off by his phone going off on the nightstand. 

He groans softly, "Sorry darling, give me a second," and then he turns to grab his phone. 

I'm smiling widely at him as I watch him, but my smile falls once I see the worried expression on his face as he reads the message. 

"Steve," I say, "What's going on?" 

"I.. I'm not sure," he says, glancing to me and Bucky, who's waking up with a groan, "Get dressed, both of you. We need to check the news."

...

"Steve, what's happening?" I ask as I watch Tony on the big television screen in the lounge room.

He's fighting off something, it doesn't look like anything I've ever seen before, possibly an alien, while Peter is aiding him to his best abilities.

"I don't know," Steve mutters before grabbing his phone, "I'm calling Fury right now."

"What does this mean? Is he okay? Are they okay?" I ask as I look at Bucky, and he looks just as worried as I feel.

"What the hell is going on?" Nat says as she walks through the doors, followed closely by Wanda and Vision. 

"Something's going on in New York," I reply, my eyes locked onto the screen. "They're attacking New York and Tony and Peter are trying to fight them off." 

Nat walks over next to me, watching the screen intensely, "I've never seen anything like this before." 

"Yes you have," Steve replies from behind us, phone to his ear as he tries to call Fury, "In New York. In 2012. They're not from here." 

Nat nods, "Yeah, but Steve, It's just the two of them. Why is Tony not able to fight them off?" She tears her eyes off the screen as she turns to Steve and he shakes his head at her, "I don't know Nat. They're way stronger than we've ever seen before." 

He groans and puts down the phone, "Fury isn't answering my calls. I have no idea what's happening." 

My eyes are locked onto the screen and I'm watching it carefully, seeing both Tony and Peter struggling to fight the giant alien. 

"Who the hell is that?" I ask when I see a guy with them, using some type of orange energy to fight them off. His hands are moving about rapidly, in a way that resembles Wanda's, but isn't quite it. 

"I have no idea.." Steve says as he walks towards us, standing next to me as we watch the screen. 

"Vis," Wanda says, "What is this?" 

"What the stone was warning me about," he says in a low voice as he turns to Wanda. 

I quickly look at him, "What do you mean it was warning you?" 

He turns his gaze to me, "I've been having these.. feelings. Wanda has tried to analyze them but neither of us knows what it means. But now that I'm seeing this.. it all adds up." 

"What are you talking about?" Steve replies sternly as he looks at Vision. 

"Someone has been searching for the stones. And they've already found several. I'm afraid the next place they will be searching for it is here, Captain. I can feel it. They're coming."