Chapter 190: Settled

MADELINE

The rest of the day is spent with the others, playing with the kids and just relaxing outside. The weather is lovely, the sun hanging low as the afternoon sets in. 

I'm sitting on the porch with a cup of tea that Bucky made me. Bucky made it for me because despite several hours having passed, Steve still refuses to leave my side. 

I'm currently sideways in his lap, resting my head on his shoulder as we watch the others out on the field. Some of them are soaking up the sun while the kids run around, playing. Clint brought out his archery gear and is now showing a hesitant Pepper how to shoot it properly. 

Bucky is playing with Morgan, who quickly warmed up to him once he started asking questions about her toys. 

She showed him her different stuffed animals, and told him their names, before she invited him for a tea party out on the lawn. Bucky listened intently, doing his very best to remember all of their names despite there being quite a lot of them. 

I chuckle softly as I watch him sit on the plaid blanket spread out on the grass, holding a tiny plastic tea cup in his hand. He says something to Morgan and she turns her head, speaking to a stuffed bunny sitting next to them, before she turns back to Bucky. He laughs, loudly, and it just makes the smile on my face widen. 

"That's so cute," I whisper and Steve smiles fondly, placing a kiss on my temple. 

"It is," he replies softly, "I can't believe how quickly he got comfortable with her. There was a time where I worried he would never feel safe enough to be around kids, again." 

I hum, nodding in understanding. I know how long it's taken for Bucky to feel safe in his own mind. I know how he held back, even after he went to Wakanda and got rid of the programming, because he was afraid to hurt me. And it warms my heart to watch him sitting so casually, talking to Morgan like he doesn't have a care in the world. 

When Bucky scrunches up his face as he drinks his tea, most likely complaining that it's too hot - despite it literally just being air - I chuckle again, "He's so good at this." 

"He used to be great with kids," Steve quickly says as he watches them as well, "You should have seen him with his sister. He always took care of her, always had time for her. Even as we got older he would prioritize spending time with her, bring her along whenever we went anywhere she might like. And he would always play tea party if she asked him, too." 

That makes me smile more, even though the thought is endearing but also sad. 

"What was her name?" I ask as I glance up at Steve. 

"Rebecca," he replies with a smile, "We called her Becks."

I glance back out on the field as I whisper my next words carefully, "What happened to her?" 

"They lost contact before the war. After his parents died. And then.. Well, you know what happened after." 

I furrow my brows, turning my head to look at Steve better as I ask, "They never saw each other again?" 

"No," Steve replies, shaking his head, "And after Bucky fell off the train, I tried to find her. But she was sent away when George and Winnie died, and there was no trace of her. I even tried looking into it after I came out of the ice,  I asked Fury to try and find her or someone related to Bucky, but he never did. He said it was like they were deleted from history." 

"Oh.." I whisper, looking back out at Bucky. He has a big grin on his face, laughing with Morgan as she moves the stuffed animals around, and it brings a sad smile to my face, "That's why he wanted a family so bad.." 

"Probably," Steve says, tightening his hold around me a little, "But it's also because he loves you." 

I smile and nod, "Yes, well, I love both of you too." 

That brings a wider smile to his face and he brushes a strand of hair behind my ear, making me look at him again, "I know five years is a long time. But neither of us have dared to ask, yet. We don't want you to feel pressured into-"

"Five years is a very long time," I interrupt, "And I don't feel pressured into doing anything. I got my fill of being a superhero and going on missions, I'm ready to settle down now." 

Steve's brows raise in surprise and he blinks a little in shock, "You-you are?" 

"Yes," I say with a chuckle, "I am." 

He blinks again, "Oh.. Have you told Bucky that?"

"No," I say, shaking my head, "Not yet. I was thinking of having the talk tonight." 

"Okay," he replies, pursing his lips. Then his arm wraps even tighter around me as his hand finds mine, lacing our fingers. He pulls me close against his chest and buries his face in my neck, whispering, "Good thing I've been stuck by your side all day. I'm not leaving you at all for the rest of the day, I hope you realize that. I have to soak up as much attention as possible." 

He nuzzles his nose into my neck, inhaling deeply, and it makes me laugh, "Why?" 

"Because once you tell Bucky, he is going to be all over you. He's not going to let you leave that bed for days.

That only makes me laugh more and it draws the attention of Bucky, who glances up at the two of us sitting on the porch. His face breaks into a giant grin as he raises his pink tea cup, cheering at us. I lift up mine as well, one that actually has tea in it, and right before taking a sip I whisper, "I guess I'm going to have to brace myself, then."