Chapter 164: Infinity War

MADELINE

Once Bruce arrived in Wakanda, it all kind of came to a head. 

It became very clear that a fight was coming, and despite the fact that Wakanda has done so much to avoid the outside world, the fight was now coming here. 

Luckily for us though, they were prepared.

"We have a forcefield securing the border. We can keep them out." 

I'm looking at Shuri and T'Challa, both weighing their options as they discuss the best way to get the stone out of Vision's head. 

It quickly became obvious that getting the stone out would be our only viable option - the only ones strong enough to destroy the stone would be Wanda.. And possibly me. 

Wanda wouldn't do it, for obvious reasons, and I refused for the same ones. I could never do that, to not only the love of my best friends life, but a friend. 

So removing the stone was our second best option. We could have gotten good time on that, except Bruce was the one to bring the idea on the table, and it took him a while to get to Wakanda. 

So that's where we are now. 

Steve, Bucky and I, in our room, suiting up, because we know a fight is coming. 

I get dressed in silence, something in my gut telling me that I shouldn't go. That we shouldn't go. But my mind is telling me that we have to. 

The world depends on it. 

Once he's suited up, Steve walks over to me. 

He's wearing a different suit, maybe he brought a different one to Wakanda, but this one has a dark star on it and the sleeves are shorter. 

I look up at him, my face laced with worry as his hands cup my cheeks. 

"Maddie," he says quietly, his eyes scanning my face as though he's trying to memorize it, "I'm going to say something you don't want to hear." 

"Steve," I whisper, "Please don't." 

He sighs, "I'm going to. Please don't go out there. Please stay here." 

I close my eyes, taking a deep, shaky breath, as I reply, "You know I can't do that." 

"Yes, I do," he says as he rests his forehead against mine, "But I wish I didn't." 

I hear Bucky walk up next to him, standing in front of me, but I don't see him. 

I keep my eyes closed as I try to keep the tears at bay. 

I know whatever happens today, it won't be good. I know this is serious. More serious than any mission we've ever been on, any fight we've ever been in. 

And I'm scared to death that my nightmares will come true. 

"Doll," I hear Bucky's low voice and it snaps me out of it for a moment, opening my eyes to face him. His hand goes to my hair, running through it softly, "We'll be okay. Just stay safe, promise? If you promise to stay safe as much as you can, we promise to do the same. Deal?" 

I nod, sniffling a little as I try to hold back my tears, "Deal." 

I look between the two of them, cupping each of their cheeks with a hand, as I slowly say "I love you. More than anything. Today is not the day I'm going to be losing you. Understand?" 

They both nod at that, Steve smiling softly at me as Bucky cups my hand with his own. 

"Understood. We're not going anywhere."