Chapter 19: Just Ask

MADDIE

After lunch Bucky approaches me and puts a hand on the small of my back.

"So, let's catch up. Your room?" He asks.

Steve is helping the girls clean the dishes with his back towards me, but I can tell he is listening to me and Bucky as he turns his head ever so slightly to look over at me.

I turn to Bucky with a smile, "Sure, let's go."

We go to my room and I sit on my bed and pull my legs under my chin. Bucky sits on the bed facing me.

"So, how's everything?" He says as he smirks at me.

"Buck," I say, looking at him with a no nonsense look, "I know what you want to ask me. So ask."

"Alright," he says, smiling, "Steve. How did that happen?"

I sigh a bit and look down to my hands.

"Honestly, I couldn't tell you. It just happened. It was instant. And it's been moving really fast but it feels good so far." I reply.

"So it's real for you?" He asks me, tilting his head to the side a bit.

I snap my head up to look at him.

"Of course it is. Why would you ask me that?" I say, a bit offended by his question.

"Hey," he says, "I didn't mean anything bad. I just meant, I know how I felt after.. you know. And I know it was much less time for you but it did change you. An emotional connection can be hard to form after all of that." 

He looks down and I can see he feels sad inside. He is still conflicted about himself and his own place. I'm sure he wonders if he will ever love anyone.

"I know. The thought did cross my mind. But I don't know Bucky, it just feels... right. Like I'm supposed to be doing this. Like I was meant to do it. Like everything that happened brought me here. And I know it sounds insane, and it's so fast but when I'm in his arms I feel invincible. Like nothing could hurt me. I don't even have the nightmares when he's here."

He looks up at me with a shocked look on his face.

"The nightmares are gone? You don't have them? Ever?" He asks, dumbfounded. 

"No," I say, "At least not yet. It's like him being near me is blocking that part of me." 

"Huh.." He says slowly. "Does he know? Have you told him?" 

"No, not yet," I say, "I need time, I think. I like the person I am with him. I'm worried it will change if I tell him what happened to me."

He nods a bit, "I understand" he says as he takes my hand in his, "Talking about it is like bringing it back to life. I get it."

I smile at him in return.

"So," I say, "Tell me everything. How was Wakanda?"

He starts to talk about what he has been doing since I last saw him and time flies.

STEVE

I wanted to see Maddie after she had spoken to Bucky but they have been in her room for hours. As time is getting closer to the party I decide to go get ready instead and give them the time they need to catch up. I don't want to interrupt knowing that they both have a lot to tell each other.

I'm sure I'm one of their subjects in there and I am so curious to know what is being said but I also know that whatever any of them want me to know, they will tell me.