Chapter 91: I Didn't Do Anything

BUCKY

Once we get back to the compound, Maddie's been sulking in the car for the past 10 minutes. I have no idea what happened. I was obviously only flirting with Michelle to get a rise out of her, and it worked. Maybe a little too well. 

Once we finish packing the boxes into the elevator she decides to take it to the top floor, effectively leaving Steve and I at the garage level. 

I turn to him, "What the hell just happened?"

He chuckles at me, "You made her jealous, Buck. That's what happened. You clearly knew what you were doing when it was happening. And now she's pissed off. So it's time to pay the piper." 

I furrow my brows at him, "What does that mean?"

He chuckles again, "It means you have to pay the price. Face the consequences. I have no idea why you thought that would be a good idea to begin with." 

"But I didn't do anything! Obviously I'm not interested in that girl. I just wanted to get a reaction out of her. That's all!" I exclaim, exasperated. 

"And you did," he replies as he watches me, "It's just not the reaction you were expecting. If you'd asked my advice, I would have told you this would happen. But then again, you never listen to me anyway."

I push his shoulder, "Oh shut up. I'll fix it." 

He laughs, "Well, you're going to have to work hard. She's pissed." 

The elevator finally comes back down, empty, and Steve and I ride it to the top level.

When we reach it, I was expecting to see Madeline there, but the lounge area is empty. 

"She went to her room," Steve says smugly, "You're screwed, pal." 

I glare at him, "Are you enjoying this right now?" 

"A little," he replies with a laugh before he walks off to the kitchen. 

I run my hand through my hair, contemplating my options. If I don't fix this, it could ruin everything. On the other hand, the party is tonight, and if I let her stew for a few hours and then get her riled up again, I might actually get the outcome I wanted to begin with. Which is for her to show the world how she feels about me. 

I go to Steve in the kitchen. I need food after today and it might be good to give her some space.. at least for now. 

Steve raises his eyebrows as he sees me, "You're not going to go talk to her?"

I look at the food on the counter, "No, I'm hungry. So I thought I'd wait a little. Let her calm down." 

He shakes his head at me with a smile, "You're playing a dangerous game, Buck."

"What do you mean?" I ask as I look up at him. 

He cocks an eyebrow at me, "Do you not remember how angry she can get? Did that memory already slip your mind?" 

My mind immediately flashes back to the night she found out I had lied to her. How she yelled at me, how her hands glowed as she got ready to kick my ass. And then it flashes to the time she screamed at me, telling me to back off. Both times I was able to calm her down by either touching or kissing her. 

I shrug, "It'll blow over." 

He laughs loudly as he cuts up vegetables, "Yeah sure. Last time you got her angry, she left." 

I shake my head lightly before meeting his eyes, "So, I get her riled up.. That's not so bad. That's normal, right?" 

Steve shrugs as he continues cooking, "I don't know."