Chapter 89: Moving On

MADELINE

We walk up to the apartment and I open the door with my key, the two boys following me closely. 

As the door opens Michelle meets us, almost in a panic. 

"Oh my god Clara! Where on earth have you been?!" 

She stares at me for a second until she see's Steve and Bucky. 

She crosses her arms as she watches them intently, "Who is this?" 

"Well.. That's my boyfriend," I say as I point to Steve, "And that's my best friend." 

"THAT's your boyfriend? How come I've never seen him before?" 

"We were on a bit of a.. break," Steve replies with a smile. 

"Well I have no idea why anyone would need a break from you, handsome." She smirks at Steve and he blushes slightly. I roll my eyes as I walk further into the apartment. 

The place is a mess. Clearly Michelle hasn't been too preoccupied with cleaning or tidying since I left. 

"I feel like I've seen you before, somewhere," Michelle says to Steve as she looks at him. 

Steve smiles, "I get that a lot." 

"Have we met before?" She asks, tilting her head. 

"Probably not. I guess I just have one of those faces," Steve replies as he walks further into the apartment, looking around. 

As I start to gather my things from the living room I hear Michelle ask, "And who might you be?" 

And then I hear Bucky's husky voice reply, "Hi, I'm Bucky." 

"I'm Michelle. Nice to meet you," they talk for a little bit, and once I hear her giggle I glance towards them. She is openly flirting with Bucky and he seems to be enjoying it, which makes me feel instantly jealous. 

As Steve notices me glaring at them, he walks up to me and puts an arm around my waist. "Relax. You're just getting a taste of what he's had to deal with, now," he whispers. 

I scowl at Steve, whispering as well, "He's flirting back." 

"No he's not," he glances towards them, "It might look like that, but I'm sure he's not even aware he's doing it. He's probably just trying to be nice." 

I scoff in response. 

I go to the bedroom and start putting my clothes in boxes. 

"Does Michelle know you're moving out?" Steve asks as he looks around my room. 

"Yeah, I texted her yesterday. She said it was fine." 

"That's good.." He says, trailing off, as he looks at the stuff I've gathered in the past two months. "This room looks so different from the one you have at the compound." 

"Yeah, I know. That's because this one was mine, not just one on loan from Tony Stark that I didn't know for how long I would keep." 

"Where'd you get all this stuff?" he asks as he picks up a painting resting on my dresser. 

"Thrift stores, mainly. Doesn't matter now." I reply as I continue packing my clothes. 

"I think you should bring it with you. Decorate your room at home as you did here. Make it yours." 

"Really?" 

"Yeah, I like getting to know you like this.. It's..." he picks up a golden figurine of a pineapple, "Interesting."