Chapter 135: Nerves

BUCKY 

I kiss Madeline gently as I feel the knot in my stomach evaporate. She might not be ready right now, but I can tell by the look on her face that she will be. 

Which only makes the plans I've made even more important. 

I kiss her quickly again before muttering, "I have to go." 

She looks up at me with furrowed brows as I get up from beside her, "Where are you going?" 

"I have something I have to do," I quickly say, glancing at Steve who gives me a reassuring smile. 

I turn back to her, "Can you meet me at the meadow in an hour?" 

That only makes her frown deepen, "Why?" 

I chuckle, "It's a surprise. Don't ask any more questions. Just come meet me. Yes?" 

She's got a confused look on her face when she nods slightly and replies, "Okay, yeah, sure." 

"Great!" I exclaim as I lean down to kiss her quickly again. 

I leave our room, hurrying down the halls as I feel my insecurities building. 

For a second there I thought I would lose her, but the way she reacted only made me more sure. 

She is the one. I need to do this now, before I lose my nerve again. 

I hurry to Shuri's lab and am practically panting when I reach her. 

"Is it ready?" 

She chuckles at me, "You good Bucky?" 

"Yes," I quickly reply, "Is it ready? I want to do this now." 

She smiles at me, "Yeah, it's ready. Got you a box and everything." 

She goes to a table and grabs it. When she gives it to me I open the box, inspecting it quickly again, and a grin spreads across my face. 

"Absolutely perfect. Thank you Shuri," I say and then I kiss her cheek quickly before running out of the lab. 

"You're welcome, weirdo," I hear Shuri yell after me as I run out. 

... 

I'm scrambling to get everything ready in time. 

I place everything on the grass, arranging the stuff I got from the kitchen. 

I feel my heart beating fast, I can feel it in my throat, as I move stuff around. 

I want it to be perfect. 

I've pushed this off for so long, but being in Wakanda, I just knew I had to do it now. I had to do it here. 

And they love Madeline which only made me more sure. 

And although we've been in a weird spot, the way she reacted to me today, the things she said, I don't know.. It made me more calm. 

It wasn't the exact response I wanted, and I was worried at first, but it also shows that she does think of me when she thinks of the future. 

And when Steve told me about their talk - about the one - I almost lost my mind. I started to overthink this entire thing, I started to worry about my place in her life. 

But what she said today proved what we are. We are both the one for her and I don't want to lose this momentum. 

I arrange the blanket on the grass, overlooking the big lake, and I arrange the picnic basket and the glasses around it. 

I feel the box in my pocket as I move around, reminding me that it's there. 

I made this plan with Shuri, ensuring that we would be in a private place where no-one would disturb us. 

Just to make sure, I shoot her text. 

Bucky: She's coming soon. No-one is allowed to come down here today, right?

Shuri: Yes, Bucky. Don't worry. Everyone knows to stay away. 

I feel my heart pounding in my chest as I get the final things ready and I feel jumpy and jittery as I move around. 

When I hear footsteps, I turn around quickly and my breath hitches as I see her. She's wearing a beautiful green sundress, her red hair flowing in the wind as she walks closer to me. 

"Hi, James. What's all this?"