Chapter 125: It's Not Me

MADELINE

Steve and I go back to the room as Bucky goes with Shuri to the lab. 

Once we enter it, Steve sighs deeply and hangs his head. 

"You okay?" I ask as I go to him and take his hands in mine. 

"Yeah," he replies with a soft smile, "It's just a lot. Being here, while still having to deal with things at home." 

"I know baby," I say before kissing him gently.

He returns my kiss and I wrap my arms arounds his waist. 

"How do you feel about us all being in one room together?" I ask as I lean my head against his chest. 

"I feel good about it," he replies as his arms wrap around me, and he looks down at me with a smile.

"You do realize this means we will all have to live together, for god knows how long?" 

He chuckles, "Yes, I do. Do you?" 

I smile up at him, "Yeah.. How do you feel about it?" 

He takes one of my hands in his again, "I like that idea. It will be a good try-out for us."

I cock an eyebrow at him, "You mean, a good try-out for when we all live together permanently?" 

He flashes a wide smile at me, "Yeah, exactly." 

Then he hesitates a little, "If you still want that, of course." 

"What do you mean?" 

He sighs, "I realize we've been acting like assholes lately. Do you still see a future with us?" 

The question throws me off and I blink a few times. I've been wrapped up in the bliss of being back near them and the plans of leaving that I haven't really thought about it these last few days. 

As I hesitate I see Steve scan my face worriedly. 

"Maddie.. Did it change for you? Is that not what you want anymore?" 

I look at him and I can tell he's worried about my answer. 

"Yes, of course it is. I still want you both. But what I said still stands. We need rules." 

Steve exhales a breath of relief, "Okay good. And yes, of course. We'll figure it out." 

"How do you feel about it?" I ask as I tilt my head slightly. 

"What do you mean?"

"Well, you guys were the ones who started this whole mess. It was you who had issues about it to begin with. So how do you feel about rules?"

"I like rules," he quickly replies. 

I chuckle, "I know Stevie. I meant, how do you feel about rules regarding us? How do you feel about me, going out there, risking my life, if it's necessary?" 

He clenches his jaw slightly, "I don't like the idea." 

I sigh, "Well, I don't like the idea of you doing it either. Neither of you. But I still let you do it." 

He sighs deeply, "I know, I know.. But I don't know what to say here, Maddie. Obviously I would prefer for you to stay safe at all times." 

"So you'd rather have me locked away in a house forever, to keep me out of danger?" 

He shrugs, "Well, ideally, yes." 

I scoff at him.

As I'm about to reply he quickly interrupts me, "But that doesn't mean that it's what's going to happen. You need to realize that Bucky and I were raised in a different era. An era where women stayed home, taking care of the kids, while the men went to work."