Chapter 64: Where Is She?

STEVE

I wake up expecting to see Maddie's face as usual but once I open my eyes, all I see is Bucky. 

I glance around the room, expecting to see her there, but she's not. 

"Maddie?" I whisper, trying to avoid waking Bucky up. She could be in the bathroom. 

I don't get a reply so I wait a little before trying again. Still no response. 

I decide to get out of bed and walk to the bathroom. She could be showering, but it's very early and she's usually a late sleeper, and after what we found out yesterday, I just want to make sure she's okay. 

As I reach the bathroom door and crack it open I quickly realize it's empty. I furrow my eyebrows as I look around the room, wondering where she might have gone. 

As I glance around I see a note on the desk. 

I pick up the note in my hand and my breath escapes my lungs as I read it. 

I need to go. I'm sorry. I don't know when I'll be back. I just need some space. Please don't come looking for me. - M

My eyes widen as I read the letter and I yell out Bucky's name in an effort to wake him up.

When he doesn't I yell again, louder this time, "BUCK!" 

"What?!" he growls as he wakes up and I see his arm reaching for Maddie. Once he realizes she's not there he looks at me. 

"Where's Maddie?" 

I'm speechless as he looks at me and all I manage to do is look back down to the note in my hand.

He get's up quickly and once he reaches me he asks, "What's going on, Steve?" 

I push the note out to him and he grabs it quickly, reading it. 

He looks back up at me with furrowed eyebrows, the look in his eyes hurt and concerned, "What the hell is this?" 

... 

"Where did she go?!" Tony's voice booms through the room as he watches Bucky and I carefully. 

"We don't know," I say quietly as I look at Bucky and he meets my gaze. 

"Well, she wouldn't just leave." Nat says calmly, "Where would she go? She has nowhere to go. She probably just needs a minute to deal with things. Calm down." 

I look at Nat before I reply, "She packed a bag." 

"How do you know?" Tony asks me, his eyes showing the equal amount of concern that Bucky's had since he read the note. 

"Because half of her stuff is missing from her room." I look down to the ground as I rub my neck, the tension growing painful.

"Okay, we find her then!" Tony exclaims and I look up at him. 

"If she wanted us to find her, she would have told us where she was going." 

Nat looks at me quickly, anger on her face. "You're telling me you're not going to go look for her Rogers? You don't care about finding her?"

"Of course I care!" I yell back, the tension in my neck growing worse every second, "But maybe we just need to give her a day or two.. She'll come back." 

I glance down at the ring on my finger, "She has to come back."