Chapter 171: Final Breath

MADELINE

I'm fighting Thanos' army with everything I can muster.

The others arriving gave me a well deserved break, and reboot, which gave me time to recharge my strength.

Steve and Bucky quickly ran head-first into the fight, and my first thought was that I will have to reprimand them for risking their lives, and acting reckless, at a later time.

When we're all out of here, and truly together again.

I don't really have time to think about it too much though, as I spot Carol flying through the sky, an orange glow surrounding her, tearing up everything in her path.

When Wanda comes up next to me, I choke on my words once again, before finally being able to muster up a quiet, "Wanda, you're here."

"Yes Sparkles," she says with a smirk, "I'm here. Now let's go kill this fucking asshole."

It makes me laugh loudly as tears run down my cheeks involuntarily, and I follow her lead as we fight the army.

She doesn't know about Nat. I'm going to have to tell her once this is all over.

I try to focus on the fight, I try to focus on all I've gotten back, as I do my best to push back the thought that I didn't see Nat walk through those orange circles, and that I haven't seen her throughout this entire fight so far.

I fight alongside Wanda for a while, defeating Thanos' army easily once we lean on each other, trust each other, and it starts to make me feel whole again.

This time it's going to end differently. I will make sure of it.

But when I watch Thanos throw Steve to the ground like a ragdoll, it gives me instant flash backs to when we fought him in Wakanda.

I'm about to run to Steves aid when I watch him stand up again.

I notice his exterior, the expression on his face.

And that's when I see something incredible happening, right before my eyes.

Something I've suspected for so long, known to be true since we first got together, but also something he refused to ever admit to me.

I watch in awe as Steve stretches out his hand, and a shiver runs down my spine when Mjölnir lands in his hand.

I knew it! I fucking knew it!

He hits Thanos square in the face with Thor's hammer, which is ablaze with electric current, making Thanos stagger backwards, and I laugh out loud as I continue to work through Thanos' alien army with Wanda by my side.

My family is finally back together.

Once Carol lands on the ground, her and I team up to get the gauntlet Tony made, to Thor, so he can snap his fingers, as Wanda attacks Thanos.

But we're quickly interrupted when one of his minions get the gauntlet before we can do anything, handing it to Thanos.

As I see him putting the gauntlet on, my life flashes before my eyes.

No!

No, this is not happening again!

I won't let it happen this time.

I quickly launch at him with all my power, screaming as I do.

I see him stumbling backwards at the impact of it, and I hear his loud grunts as he does.

It doesn't stop me.

I've killed this purple asshole once before, nothing is stopping me from doing it again. 

I get closer, hoping it will intensify my power and weaken him, but it doesn't do the trick.

That's when I see him turn his hand quickly and suddenly I'm hit with a stream of blue. The power hits me like a freight train and I'm raised in the air.

I await a rough landing on the ground, but it never comes. 

And as I open my eyes and look down, I see my body glowing even wilder than before. The stream of blue is still coming at me but instead of feeling it, I absorb it.

I see Thanos' eyes widen as he watches me absorb the energy and I chuckle as I narrow my eyes at him, "That was a mistake."

I scream as I unleash the full force of my power towards him.

I don't even need my hands, the energy is being pulled out of my entire body and it hits him all at once. I hold it steady as I move closer to him and the closer I get, the louder he yells in agony.

I'm right in front of him when I reach my hands out and move them upwards, guiding him off the ground with me.

"What are you?" he asks through gritted teeth and I smirk as I reply, "I'm your worst fucking nightmare, Nutsack."

I launch another energy attack and he flies through the air before landing harshly on the ground. I follow, flying towards him quickly, and hit him in the face, my body still completely covered in the blue glow.

Once he's on the ground, Carol comes to my aid, and she grabs at the glove, trying to pry it off him.

I put my hands on both sides of his face and squeeze, letting the energy course through him. I see his eyes turn a vibrant blue and I feel his entire body tense up beneath me. 

"Carol, get that fucking thing off of him, I can't hold it much longer!" I yell as she struggles to get it off his fist.

"I've almost got it!" she pants and as I'm about to lose my power completely, she manages to get it off him in a harsh pull, moving quickly.

"Get it to Thor!" I yell and she flies off immediately, heading in Thor's direction.

Thanos is on the ground, his body still completely limb when I finally release his head from my hold.

I stand up, no longer holding him down, and look him over. Did I kill him again?

I realize he's still alive when his eyes open slowly to look up at me.

"Who are you?" He asks quietly, his breathing ragged.

"I'm the one you took everything from. And now, I'll return the favor."

I know Thor has gotten hold of the gauntlet because I watch as Thanos tries to get himself up from the ground, and I also watch him take his final breath as he starts to vanish before my eyes.

I watch as he turns to dust, mixing with the dirt he was lying on a second ago.