Chapter 155: Formal

STEVE

Buck and I are in our room getting ready for the party. 

"Are we wearing suits to this thing? Again?" Bucky asks with a frown as he looks at the two suits laid out on the bed. 

We didn't bring any suits, but apparently Tony and Nat made a plan and brought outfits for all of us, because none of us knew Maddie's birthday was coming up. 

Well, except for Maddie. 

But she didn't plan on telling us about her birthday so I guess she didn't expect any of this either.

And when Bucky and I made a plan to go to Wakanda to help her mental health, we didn't exactly expect there to be a lot of parties involved. All I packed were jeans, comfortable clothes and my suit, just in case. Bucky did the same. 

"I guess so," I say with a shrug as I pick up one of the shirts from the bed, "Tony brought us this, and he cooperated with Nat, so I'm guessing everyone is going all out." 

"Why?" Bucky says with a groan as he picks up his own shirt, "I hate wearing suits. They're so.. constricting." 

I chuckle at him, "I know Buck, but it's for her birthday." 

"I know," he grumbles, "I just hate when it's so stiff and formal like this." 

He takes off his t-shirt and puts on the shirt, buttoning it with a frown. "That's why I liked it when we went on that date, the three of us. We went out, had fun. I was wearing jeans and a shirt, it was casual but we still had a great time." 

"Yeah," I say, "Until you choked that guy out." I chuckle as I look at Bucky who's glaring back at me. 

"He deserved it," he grumbles and I nod in response.

"Yes, he did. But Shuri planned this party, Tony and Nat chose the outfits. We're just along for the ride. So it's best to just do as they say." 

I give him a wide smile and he smiles back slightly as he buttons up his shirt, continuing to get dressed. 

... 

Once it's time for the party to start, Buck and I walk out of the room to the party, both of us dressed in our suits. 

Neither of us have seen Madeline since she went to Nat's room to get ready, and I'm itching to see her. I barely saw her today.. I miss her. 

We walk into the huge room and it's all decorated in a deep, emerald green. Flowers are placed on all the high round tables standing around, and they each have glasses of champagne on them. 

I raise my brows a little at the sight, and chuckle as I lean in to whisper to Bucky, "Guess wearing suits was a good call. This is fancy." 

"Yeah," Bucky mutters, "It's very fancy. I'm not surprised Shuri would go all out." 

I'm not surprised either. But I also know that Maddie doesn't usually enjoy being in fancy settings like this. 

I'm sure she would have been fine with dinner and a movie. 

But it's still wonderful that Shuri spent so much time and effort on this, and I have no doubt it's going to be an amazing evening.