Chapter 86: A mystery. . .

And we're briefly back in time, To last night. . .Also Roux Pov

-----------------------------------------------------------

Closing the front door behind me quickly, I made a bee line for the family room.

Paris was sitting on the couch, Talking with Kadin.

''Where's? Bailey?'' I asked quietly, My voice wobbly.

Paris looked back at me as Kadin seemed to think for a moment.

''Yeah he's upstairs in his office'' Kadin answered, A tired smile on his face.

''You okay Roux? You're pale-er than normal'' Paris commented, Actual concern seeming to take priority over how agitated Ambrose had made him.

''I-I think I'll be fine, Just gotta talk to Bailey'' I whispered, My voice slightly shaky as I headed for the stairs.

Taking the stairs two at a time, I hurried towards Bailey's office.

Pausing at his door, I caught my breath before knocking.

I didn't want to barge in if he was in the middle of a phone call after all.

''Enter'' Bailey's familiar monotone sounding voice said.

I hurriedly stepped in to find Bailey sitting behind his desk, He had a file folder in front of him, Which he put away as soon as I walked in.

''You're acting different'' Bailey noted, His eyes narrowing slightly.

''Was Paris harassing you?'' He asked before I could get a word in.

''N-No-'' I started before he interrupted me.

''Why exactly are you so pale all of a sudden then?'' He asked, Muted concern in his features.

''Someone was watching us outside'' I blurted out.

Bailey stared at me silently for a moment before sighing heavily, Pinching at the bridge of his nose.

''I'm not surprised, I'm sure Paris and Ambrose were making quite the scene, Lots of people were no doubt watching from their windows'' Bailey dismissed.

Shaking my head, I nervously started to wring my hands.

''No but they were in a car next door, One without any license plates. . .'' I muttered.

I watched as Bailey opened his mouth slightly, About to say something to that before he paused, Thought for a moment, Then frowned slightly.

''Which. . .House next door?'' He asked slowly, Standing up from his chair as he spoke.

''T-The one over there?'' I squeaked out, Gesturing in the direction of one of the walls.

Bailey looked in the direction I pointed before slowly nodding.

''In that case. . .Yeah this is something to worry about'' He muttered, Moving over to a filing cabinet as he spoke.

''Really?'' I asked, Moving a little closer to him, A mixture of excitement at being right and fear that I was right, Swirling around inside me.

''The Burringers have been gone for a few months now, They dislike the cold and always leave for Florida when fall comes around'' Bailey explained as he started to move back to his desk A piece of lined paper in hand, He paused briefly however to ruffle my hair gently, Almost like an attempt at providing comfort.

''They won't be back until spring and they ask their neighbors to watch their house, They never hire anyone who'd end up having to park in their driveway'' He explained further as he sat back down in his chair.

''Oh. . .'' I whispered, Glancing over at the only window in the office.

I was feeling uneasy again, Not like I was being watched, But like I was un-safe.

Nervously, I rubbed at my arms again, Glancing down at my feet.

There was silence for a long moment before Bailey got up from his chair.

I looked up at him, Confusion starting to form inside me when he approached me.

Next thing I knew, He scooped me up off my feet and carried me back over to his chair, Carefully holding me bridal style.

Instinctively, I wrapped my arms around his neck.

He sat back down in his chair, Holding me on his lap, An arm wrapping around my waist now as I moved to be sitting on his lap.

''Do remember anything about the car you saw?'' He questioned, Picking back up his pen as he spoke.

''Well. . .It was all black. . .Had no license plates. . .Oh, And it looked like whoever owned it had removed any car manufacturer's logo'' I mumbled, Placing my hands over his hand as he wrote down what I said.

''Did you manage to see anything about anyone inside the car? Height? Face? Anything?'' He asked, His pen paused on the paper as he waited.

Looking down, I shook my head slightly.

''The uh. . .Windows were tinted. . .I couldn't see anything about anyone else in the car, And whoever was watching with the window down was far enough back that the shadows hid them. . . Sorry. . .'' I muttered apologetically.

Bailey was silent for a moment before he set down his pen before gently grabbing my chin.

I blinked in confusion before Bailey turned my face just enough so he could place a brief kiss on my lips.

I could feel my face heat up as he let my face go.

''You did good Roux. . .I'll see what I can do about this, We might have this car on file down at the station'' Bailey informed me, Letting me go as he spoke.

With how little information I had given him, I doubted there would actually be anything on file, I doubted if I ran into the same car again I'd even be able to recognize it.

We're not gonna figure this out. . .Are we?

  ''Should. . .Should we tell Kadin and Paris about this?'' I asked tentatively, Standing up and moving away from Bailey as he got up.

He sighed before nodding as he ushered me out the door before turning off the lights in the office off.

''Who knows. . .One of them might even know why someone was watching our house'' Bailey explained as he absently tugged me closer to his side, Holding me close protectively.

''Why do you think we were even being watched in the first place?'' I asked, Sticking close to him as we headed towards the family room.

He shrugged slightly, A frown on hid face.

''Don't know, But, We'll find out, One way or another'' He muttered before falling silent as his attention turned to Kadin and Paris.

I wonder. . .Who could it be. . .Who could we have wronged?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

:)

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen