Chapter 64: Court

And another Ambrose chapter, Also, I have no idea what happens in a court room and trust me, It's gonna show.

------------------------------------------------------------

Thankfully, I had been saved from Bailey and Paris by the fact that we were getting close to being late for court.

Those two had left to get there in time seeing as they had to sit with the defense attorney and it would be very bad if they walked in during the opening words or whatever the hell they call them.

Sighing tiredly, I roughly ran my hands through my hair, Putting it into disarray as I tried to calm my nerves.

It's okay, You'll go up to the stand, Do the whole little oath shit thing than state your findings.

Simple. . .

 ''First time in court?'' A cheerful voice asked from right behind me, Nearly making me jump out of my skin.

Instead, I thankfully only let out 'Dignified' squeak of fear.

The light brown haired man grinned at me happily, The badge on his uniform identified him as 'Eric'.

''Yup.'' I said tensely, Keeping my word curt to try and hide the slight tremble I was sure would show after that little jump scare.

Eric just smiled at me happily, His blue eyes sparkling slightly.

''No need to be so worried, Most of them in there are pretty dang nice, So long as you don't have any fear of public speaking you should be fine'' He said happily before pausing and turning to me, A serious look on his face, ''You aren't afraid of public speaking right?''

''No, No goodness no'' I said, Relaxing a bit at the other man's constant cheerfulness.

His smile returned full force again, ''Thank goodness, They would have eaten you alive!'' He said, Making me pause as I started to walk to the court room doors.

''Wait what?'' I asked, Turning my head around quickly to look at him.

He just gave me a grin before the doors to the court room opened, One of the sheriffs that were guarding the doors poked his head out.

''You're up now'' He said to me, Holding the door open a little more for me.

I nodded before briefly glancing back at Eric, ''Good luck!'' He said cheerfully before walking in through one of the unguarded doors that led to the seating area.

Yeah that's totally not foreboding at all. . .

Inhaling, I stepped into the court room, The sheriff escorting me up to the witness stand.

I stood at the stand as one of the sheriffs brought over a bible.

I put one hand on the bible and raised the other one as I stared into the eyes of the sheriff.

''Do you swear to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth, So help you god?'' The sheriff asked, Going through the motions.

And if I don't believe in god?

''I do'' I replied before sitting down as the defense attorney approached the witness stand.

Her name's Sarah if I remember correctly. . .

''You were assigned to check up on Roux Pup's mental health, Correct?'' She asked, Moving to stand in front of me as she spoke.

''That's correct'' I muttered, Keeping up a polite act for the sake of these proceedings.

I was not enjoying the way they were seemingly avoiding direct questions.

Nor was I enjoying the fact I could feel Bailey and Paris both staring at me from the defendant's little table.

I made a point to ignore their attention.

''And do you think he should go back to living with his parents?'' Sarah asked, Seemingly catching onto the fact that I didn't enjoy the vague questions.

''Objection!'' The prosecutor called out, Standing up from their seat as they spoke, ''How is Mr. . .'' They started to say, Looking down at their papers before frowning and facing me slightly.

''Uh, What's your last name?'' The prosecutor asked meekly, Clearly not expecting to have to ask me that.

I narrowed my eyes slightly at them before answering, ''Smith, My last name is Smith'' 

''Thank you'' They said politely before continuing, ''Like I was saying, How is Mr. Smith going to know if Roux living with his parents or not will effect him in any way?''.

Are they new to this?

The judge let out a long suffering sigh before turning to the prosecutor, ''Robin, I know you were just swapped in for your mentor a few hours ago but you could have at least read up a bit more on the case, Objection denied.'' The judge said before turning to look over at Sarah and I, ''You may continue''.

''No, I do not think it is any way good or safe for him to go back to living with his parents'' I responded calmly, Slightly curious what happened to cause Robin to be swapped in.

Now I feel bad for them. . .This is most likely their first time in court. . .

''Thank you, The prosecution may have this witness now'' Sarah said calmly, Walking back to the defense's table.

I made a point to not look in that direction, Instead, I kept my attention on Robin.

The nervous blonde had gathered some papers rather clumsily, Causing them to have to set them back down before they could accidently drop them.

When they finally turned back to me I made sure to give them a small smile.

The  tension in their shoulders seemed to relax slightly before they nervously cleared their throat, Approaching the stand.

''So, Tell me, If he can't live with his perfectly fine parents, Who pray tell will he live with?'' Robin asked, Their voice wavering ever so slightly.

''That's up to either the court or CPS to decide. Not me.'' I responded calmly, My hands crossed calmly in my lap.

''So you don't think he should live with his soulmates?'' Robin asked, Leaning on the stand slightly.

Looking at their face, I could see they were clearly expecting me to back track.

Instead, I gave them a small smile before answering.

''No. I don't think it's in his best interest to remain with his soulmates either'' I stated bluntly.

As soon as I said those words, I could feel Paris and Bailey glaring at me even from across the court room.

I knew today was gonna be hellish. . .

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, Surprisingly, Ambrose didn't say that just to be mean to Paris and Bailey, Any guesses on his reason why though?

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen