Chapter 23: Safe?. . .

Aright! Got another chapter up this week! 

-------------------------------

The crisp late summer early fall air filled my lungs as I sat behind the school, The sunrise was stunning from here.

The sound of wing beats drew me out of my pointlessly swirling thoughts, I looked over to my shoulder as Ferris swooped down to land on me.

'Morn'!' 

He chirped happily, Nuzzling my face in a greeting.

A tiny smile lifted the corners of my mouth, He tilted his head to the side out of confusion.

'Why you sad?'

''It's his birthday, That's why he's sad, Remember?'' Jason said calmly, Walking around the side of the school.

He sat down next to me, I now noticed he was carrying a certain someone.

I smiled over at the tired looking Brook, She yawned and rubbed at her eyes.

''Happy b'day Roo'' She managed to get out tiredly, She gave me a sleepy smile, Her eyes barely open.

''Thanks Brookie'' I whispered, The smile becoming the smallest bit larger.

''You know you didn't have to get up so early right?'' I asked them both gently, Brook just shook her head vigorously.

''No! I wanted to wish you happy birthday before school, That way you will have some happiness for the day'' She said seriously, Her little six year old logic unfailable.

I gave her a small smile before kissing her forehead, ''Thanks Brookie, You're the best'' I muttered greatfully.

She gave me a sleepy smile before Jason got up to carry her inside, ''Happy birthday dude'' He called back to me on his way inside.

I smiled and sat there, Watching the sunrise with Ferris.

He didn't say anything, He didn't need to.

Neither of us needed to speak for the other to know something is wrong.

He tugged gently at my hair, Attempting to groom it like he would his feathers.

''Think I will ever be fixed?'' I asked him quietly.

'Can't fix what's not broken'

I hummed quietly, Resting my head between my legs.

I felt Ferris pull my phone out of my pocket, The sound of a beak tapping on the screen filled the silence for a bit before I heard a song start to play.

I sighed, Small tears forming in my eyes as the song I always listened to when I was upset started to play.

(( Dats the song he's listening to btw))

--- Time skip ---

I walked out of my last class before lunch, I felt tired and sad.

That's not a good combination. . .

Ferris whistled softly and nuzzled at my neck, Distracting me from my thoughts.

''Thanks bud'' I whispered, He turned to me and gave me a birdy smile.

'Every thin gon be okay'

He whistled out quietly, I nodded, Continuing to walk in the direction of the cafeteria.

I was almost to the cafeteria when a hand gently grabbed my arm, I turned around to face Paris.