Chapter 71: Old pains

And we finally get the others reactions to what happened to Roux in the past. . .

-------------------------------------------------------------

We all were sitting down in the family, Ferris sitting tiredly in my lap as Ambrose sat on my left, Kadin on my right.

Paris was sitting with Bailey in the two chairs across from us.

Paris was holding onto the folder containing the pictures. . .

''So. . .Uh. . .What's with the bird?'' Ambrose asked cautiously, Ferris had deemed it necessary to snap at the poor man when he had tried to rest his hand on my shoulder.

Needless to say, He took the hint and didn't try to rest his hand on me again.

''His name's Ferris, He will bite anyone here without remorse.'' Bailey introduced curtly.

I opened my mouth, About to protest to that before said bird nodded in agreement.

'Won't bite Roux' He added on though, Nuzzling his cold beak against my face as he spoke, Having hopped up to my shoulder by then.

Before Ambrose could say anything to that, Paris cleared his throat, Causing Ferris to give him his best birdy version of a glare.

''Back on the topic?'' Ambrose guessed, Giving Paris a cold glare as well.

''If that is alright with everyone'' Paris said, Looking directly at me as he spoke.

I nodded, Not saying a word, Instead, I pulled Ferris back down into my lap so I could pet his feathers.

Kadin gently rested his arm around my waist as Paris tugged one of the pictures out of the folder.

It was one of the head injury ones.

A large bleeding gash that had stretched from the corner of my left eyebrow all the way up to my hairline.

Luckily my parents had actually taken me to the hospital after I passed out from blood loss, Thankfully the gash didn't scar.

''How did you get this?'' Paris asked, Tapping the photo slightly after he set it down on the coffee table.

''My dad pushed me down the stairs, I ended up hitting my head on something, Not sure what though'' I answered quietly, Leaning slightly Into Kadin as I quickly retold what happened.

Just gotta get this over with as quickly as I can than we can go to bed and pretend we never talked about this. . .

''What was his reasoning behind doing that?'' Ambrose asked, Catching me off guard slightly.

''Does it matter?'' Bailey asked, Sounding surprisingly calm still.

I looked over to Ambrose just in time to see him give Bailey a look none of us seemed to understand.

' He's a jerk.' Ferris answered for me before I could give the reasoning.

''Uh. . .He was in a rush and I ended up crossing paths with him at the top of the stairs. . .It wouldn't have ended so badly if we weren't on the stairs at the time.  . .'' I answered, Adding on the last bit as a small part that had been ingrained into me made me want to try and protect my dad despite what he's done.

I noticed Ambrose frowned slightly at that but didn't say anything, He did however sit up straighter.

A tense silence started to fill the room before Paris sighed and pulled out another photo.

''Right, We'll get back to that. . .Tell me, What caused this one?'' He asked as he set down another one of the head gashes.

There are only about three more head gashes. . .

This one was a gash that actually did leave a faint scar.

It stretched from the top of my right ear to the bottom of my jaw.

''Uh. . .I don't remember how I got that one. . .'' I admitted sheepishly, Glancing down at the table as I spoke.

''That's understandable, That wound looks pretty deep in the picture'' Ambrose commented, Reaching out to gently rest his hand on my shoulder.

Only to instantly remove it as Ferris hissed at him, Snapping slightly at his fingers.

I held Ferris back as Ambrose moved away slightly, Frowning as he did so.

My attention was drawn back to the two men across from me as I heard one of them get up.

Bailey walked out of the room, Heading for the bedroom silently.

I swallowed nervously at that.

I don't think that's a good sign. . .

''Roux, There is one last picture I'd like an explanation on if you don't mind.'' Paris said, His voice quieter then when we started this.

I turned back to him, Fully expecting another one of the head gashes to be placed in front of me.

Instead, It was the brand like mark at the base of my skull that I had gotten from the straightening iron.

''Um. . .That's. . .From a hair straightener. . .'' I said quietly, Glancing down at my hands as Ambrose and the remaining others stared at me.

''So. . .Was it an accident than?'' Ambrose asked, Doubt in his voice.

''No it was a. . .Sort of a punishment. . .'Cause I complained. . .'' I said quietly, Nervously burying my fingers into Ferris's feathers.

Said bird must have sensed my distress.

He moved away from my fingers and fluttered up to my shoulder.

The sweet heart of a bird started to groom at my unruly curls like he would at his own feathers, In an attempt to calm me, Just like he would do with another bird.

''Was it your father again?'' Paris asked as Ambrose moved a little closer to me.

''No. . .It was my mom. . .'' I corrected as Ambrose rested his hand gently on my shoulder, This time, Ferris didn't attack.

I glanced over at the brown eyed man as he looked back at me, A gentle concern in his eyes.

''What did you say that sent her into an unreasonable rage?'' He asked gently before Bailey came storming back in.

''Who cares what her reasoning was.'' Bailey demanded, Moving to stand directly in front of the couch.

I swallowed nervously, Pressing closer to Kadin as I recognized the look in his eyes.

Here we go again. . .

------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the truth is out in the open now. . .We'll get the continuation of their reactions next chapter, Any guesses on it?

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen