Socially awkward

Dear Alex:

So I'm home schooled and move from place to place all the time. Right now I am in North Dakota and I'm from Oklahoma. Anyways I am the shy girl because I never really had to deal with other people like you do in school. So i'm going to this new church and I don't really talk to anyone because I'm socially awkward I guess you would put it that way. What's the best way to just start talking to someone? Everytime I try talking to someone I start stuttering or just feel out of place.

Love The Okie. :)

________________

Dear the okie,

I'm homeschooled too! The only difference is that I'm not socially awkward. I used to be the sky girl just like you but I got out of it by having the right attitude. First, you have to want to get to know someone. Once you bring up the courage to be more outgoing then you have to find someone to talk to. The way to start a conversation at your new church is maybe talking to the person next to you or sit by someone new each day to get to know them. You might want to ask them how long have they been going to the church? How's the people there? Who do they like that might be nice to be friends with too. Ask about how the pastor, minister, or whoever they are lol then when you start the basics they might introduce you to other people and you'll get a sense of how they act just with the other people around. That is really important in making friends. By the way don't forget to introduce yourself with your name and things like the basic; age, what ethnicity are they. You could even ask if they go to a public school or if they are homeschooled too. If they are then great! You might just have a new study buddy : D to help the shuttering, prepare what you are going to say to that person before hand. I have noticed that this helps me a lot when trying to talk to people. Complement the person on something, that normally can start conversations as well. It's okay to be shy and socially awkward as long as your willing to be who you are and try to get to know someone, you'll be okay :)

With complete understanding,

Alex