CHAPTER 86

"Still don't want to know the baby's gender?" Asks my gynecologist as she's moving the transducer over my bump. Nqobi and I exchange looks and he says "no we'd rather get surprised in labour" and I couldn't agree more. "Okay then..." She then goes to tell us how our baby is growing,everything is in order. The warmth that had enveloped my hand is soon replaced by the cold as he let's go of my hand,we are now outside the building heading to the parking lot.

He holds the passenger door open for me,I get in buckle up and he jogs to the other side. The drive is awkward,ever since the break up things have been awkward between us. And I guess that neither one of us is brave enough to confront the awkwardness. "How's therapy going?" He asks slicing through the awkward silence. "Its okay,I'm actually enjoying it" I say beaming. I'm not lying,I am really starting to get the hang of it and I'm enjoying it. Tho I have to admit that the first three sessions where a total disaster.

I didn't like that white lady one bit,I felt like the questions that she was throwing at me were to make me relive that fateful day. My silence each time she would ask a question spoke volumes. I hated how she would jot down something when I didn't answer her. In my mind I was like 'Bitch what are you scribbling down,I didn't say shit.' Even when I had a venomous look plastered on my face,she would always return it with a beautiful smile which showed her perfect white teeth. As I kept on attending my sessions,forcefully so I grew to like them.

Now I don't mind speaking about what happened,heck I don't even shed a tear anymore. I still have a long way to go tho...that's what she said,my therapist Mrs Jackson but she prefers Emily. "That's good" he comments while looking at the road ahead. Guess we are back to being awkward again. My head is placed against the window and I'm looking at the passing cars and the tall buildings. "Remember when you told me that you would like to have a pregnancy photoshoot?" He asks and I peel my head away from the window to have a proper look at him.

"Yes I remember and its called a Maternity shoot" but I don't think that I'm up to the challenge anymore . I say correcting him,i had told him this months back,probably when we found out that I'm pregnant. "Well Zanele got me some photographer,she says he's good" he says taking his eyes off the road for a second to look at me. "Mhm" that's my respond. Kodwa vele ngizothini because he isn't telling me anything...I don't see the door in which I enter kulento angitshela yona. "Don't you want to check out his website first then if you like his work then you can set an appointment for us" now he's talking. "Okay I will see" I say heaving out a sigh.

Well we did the shoot 3 days ago and to say that I loved it would be downplaying it. Looking at these pictures I'm glad that Nqobi was able to convince me otherwise. I appreciate his efforts,this was one of his ways to get me to connect with my unborn baby. Lil Missy was also part of the shoot and boy was she not a diva. I don't know what she thought was going on,but one thing is certain she had the time of her life. She loved changing clothes and being told how to pose. I died of laughter when her granny,uMaNdlovu called in the evening to speak to her. She inquired about her day and what she did. Nonjabulo said "besibahle sashutha"

I'm at Sanridge Square mall noNonjabulo,I'm trying not to panic but its impossible not to as I think that we are being followed. No actually I know that we are being followed. I have been seeing this guy at every store that we go to,he keeps his distance yes,but I'm certain that he's following me. He is not even buying anything,he's just walking around pretending to be looking at clothes or food with his hands buried inside his jean pockets. Without causing a scene or looking suspicious,I take a few clothing items off the rails...I don't even look to see if I took the right sizes or if its even my style.

I take Joy with me to the fitting room,as I'm digging for my cellphone in my bag,my hands are shaking. I dial his number and he answers on the second ring.
Me: "I think someone is following me" I say whispering into the phone as soon as he picks up.
Him: "MaDlamini angikuzwa" he says before I hear shuffling on his end.
Me: "Nqobi ngithi someone is following us" my voice cracks as my voice box gets blocked. A cry is threatening to come out. Lord I can't go through what I went through...this time around I won't survive it. They might as well just kill me.