Chapter 63

I hear the alarm blaring, waking me up from a deep sleep. Few minutes later I hear,
"Aasaalaatu Khaayrum Minan-Nauum." ( Prayer is better than sleep), Fawaaz bhai calls out as he knocks on my door.

It hits me then that this is the last time I will be waking up to Fawaaz bhai's call to prayer. Tears rolled down my cheeks, my whole life I woke up to the men in my house calling us to pray, I jumped out of bed, made wudhu and read my salaah.

I hopped back into bed and put my head down on the pillow trying to get some sleep, the excitement was too much that I couldn't sleep. My mind kept thinking about my family, this is my last day with them. I'm really going to miss them and their silliness.

I hear a knock on my room door, I look at the time, it's 7am, I got out of bed and opened the door, it was Ammi and Bhabhi. Both of them looked like they were crying, their eyes were red and puffy.

"What is this? Both of you with red puffy eyes, are you starting my bidaai from now?"

"It's not our fault, go see your Abba in the living room."

I grab my scarf and rush down to see my Abba sitting with an old album looking at my childhood photos while sobbing away. I ran up to him and gave him a tight hug.

"Abba, I'm only getting married, I'm still your beti, I got an idea let's make Zayaan a Jamaai Raja. That way I don't have to leave my family."

"What you father and daughter up to?" Ammi says nonchantly.

"Ammi we planning on making Zayaan your Jamaai Raja."

"Are you crazy? No way, I can't handle any longer with you, Muhammed we can't make this deal, it's not profitable for us."

"Ammi! Not profitable? You get to keep your daughter and get a free servant."

"Is that what you think of my son, shame on you Amu, my poor son is going to suffer."

"Shenaaz don't trouble my beti, it's her wedding day. She must get whatever she wants today."

I left them to argue and went back to my room to shower and get ready for an awesome breakfast. I was told all my favourites were being made and that Ammi made Jalebi just for me, who can say no to garma garam Jalebi.

I sat at the table with the whole plate of Jalebi, although Ammi only allowed me to eat three, Ammi brought another plate for everyone else.

After breakfast I sat in the living room watching everyone running around for last minute things they either couldn't find, forgot to bring or never thought it would be needed.

Zuhair bhai and Fawaaz bhai were busy driving around getting everything we needed. Bhabhi was at the hall checking on the decor and caterers, Ammi was attending to guests who had nothing better to do then sit around and Zafar was attending to me.

I had no idea where Nani and Nanu were or where Abba was. Time went by so fast before we knew it, it was already time to start getting ready. The beautician and hairstylist were here to get me ready first.

Once I was ready and dressed Bhabhi came to fetch me, Abba was calling me downstairs. Zayaan's Abba and two of his uncles were here, they came to ask my consent.

All the guest that were at the house congratulated my family and I, as usual Ammi and Bhabhi were crying and made everyone cry. Zayaan's family left and so did the men of our family.

The nikkah was in 30 minutes time, I couldn't believe soon Zayaan and I would be married. Once the men left, the ladies were sitting and chatting. Ammi asked me to relax in their room while we waited for the men to return.