Chapter 81

A new morning came and here I was sitting on the couch. Zayaan was asleep, I left the room knowing that when he woke up he wouldn't remember who I am and I didn't want him to get confused and ask me questions that would hurt me.

Once Zayaan woke up the nurses attended to him, doctors were in and out of his room. Soon it was time for another physio session with Zayaan. I was hoping that we made some progress.

"Good morning Mr Malik, I'm Amaani, I'm your therapist, I will be doing physio with you and I'm here to help you understand your feelings."

"Great, I've been waiting for you."

"That's good, I'm glad you excited to do physio with me. Today we going to try to get you to hold things with your hands."

After his physio session, Raeesa walked in and Zayaan asked me to leave, she closed the door on my face while I was staying outside the doorway. It killed me that he couldn't remember me and that he remembered her, I sat against the wall while my tears uncontrollably fell out of my eyes.

The doctors wanted to examine Zayaan so they came to get me, I knocked and then opened the door, Raeesa was sitting next to Zayaan on the bed, he had his head on her chest.

"We sorry Mr Malik but we need to do a check up," one of the doctors say.

"I'm sorry, I'll come back," I say and walk out.

Just then Ammi and Abba walk in, I ran to Ammi and hugged her as tears flowed out. Ammi didn't ask me anything which made me feel comfort. I was tired of people asking if I was okay or what was wrong.

I sat with my parents until the doctors came out of the room, they were happy with Zayaan's results but wanted to run a few more tests just to make sure everything was okay. The therapist suggested I work more with Zayaan since I was making such great improvement.

Zayaan was asleep and Raeesa had left, I sat by his bedside enjoying the moment. He woke up, looked at me and smiled. He wanted water so I gave him some and then sat down.

"What are you doing here sunshine?"

"Sunshine?"

"I hope you don't mind but when I see you I feel so much better, I feel like I'm in good hands and will recover soon. You like a ray of sunshine."

"No I don't but you know my name is Amaani."

"I keep forgetting your name, so I will call you sunshine."

"Okay that's perfect."

"So how come you don't have a boyfriend?"

"Focusing on my career."

"Oh great. You know I'm a lawyer, very well known lawyer."

"Yes sir, I read your file."

"Why do you keep calling me sir?"

"It's better then calling you by your bed number like the nurses do."

"That's because they not allowed to get attached to us patients and I will like it if you called me by my name."

"Okay I will call you Zayaan but on one condition."

"What is that?"

"You have to remember my name."

"Tough one but I'll try."

I didn't want to bring it up but deep down I wanted to know how he felt about Raeesa. I cleaned the sofa area working up the courage to accept his answers.

"So I hear you getting married? When's the wedding?"

"Yeah, we haven't set the date as yet. My parent's aren't happy with her. I understand where they coming from. They want someone who will be able to run the family like my mum does and she is not housewife material."