Chapter 97

Zuhair bhai arrived this morning, the house has been so lively since he arrived. I feel so content, I have no complains with my life. Zayaan has been trying to give me as much time as he can.

He started going to work and comes home everyday. Yes it's been behind my mind a few times that he goes to Raeesa, but I know there's nothing I can do. She is part of his life and if I want to be part of his life, I have to accept that she is too.

This evening we invited for a business party, well Abba's company is invited and Zuhair bhai doesn't want to go alone so Zayaan and I are tagging along.

Zayaan got me the most beautiful outfit for the party, I didn't feel like dressing so fancy, I thought I would just throw over a black Abaya with a colourful hijab but Zayaan insisted I dress up.

"Wow! You look absolutely beautiful, you make this outfit look amazing," Zayaan says with a smirk.

"You don't look too bad yourself."

"Thanks but I'm no comparison to you. When I walked in I was reminded of the first day we met. I couldn't take my eyes off you."

"And I didn't want to look at you or even be around you."

"I remember that clearly, I knew you were not interested but I didn't know why. Good memories."

"Yeah they are."

Once we got to the party Zuhair bhai introduced us to his friends and business associates. The party was lovely, I expected to get bored but I really enjoyed myself. It wasn't one of those typical business parties.

When we got home Aadil was standing outside, he looked really tense. The guard said he has been here for an hour already and has been trying to call us.

"Where have you been Amu? I've been trying to call you and so has your family," He says frantically.

"Aadil you making me scared, what is wrong?"

"Call Aahil, he will explain, he has booked tickets for the three of you."

I rush into the house and call Aahil, he doesn't answer so we started packing our bags in the meantime. Zuhair bhai has been trying to call home and Nuwal Bhabhi but no one is answering.

We decided to leave since it was almost time for our flight. Once we landed Zuhair bhai tried to call on the house phone but no one answered.

I was starting to get restless, we had no idea what was wrong or what to do, when we got to the house Mariam Apa was waiting outside for us, she said we need to go to the hospital.

She doesn't tell us more, she probably told Zuhair bhai what was wrong, I saw them talking but she stopped when I looked at them. I'm sure Ammi told her not to tell me, knowing that I would worry.

The journey to the hospital which is a mere twenty minutes felt like an hour. Zuhair bhai enquired at the reception, when we got to ICU everyone was waiting outside. I looked at Ammi who was crying uncontrollably.

Fawaaz bhai took me one side and told me the news. Nani has suffered a heart attack and she had another one this morning. The doctors say her heart is too weak at the moment.

The doctor came out and told us that we could see Nani. We were asked not to talk to her too much. The minute Nani saw us tears rolled out. She looked so feeble and pale, her hands were cold and she was really weak.

She went from a lady who did everything for herself to someone who can't do anything for herself. She could barely sit up or drink water, I couldn't stand to see her like this, I ran out of the ICU, Zayaan followed me.

"Amu don't worry Nani will be okay. I know it's difficult to see her like this but you have to be strong," Zayaan says gingerly.

I turned around, he brought me to his warm embrace. I sank my face into his chest as if to ask him to never let go as I put my arms around him. 

When visiting hours were over Ammi asked us all to go home. Zuhair bhai and Ammi were staying back at the hospital.

I toss and turned in bed trying to fall asleep, I was feeling restless, I had a fear that something bad was about to happen. I got out of bed and started pacing up and down hoping that along with time this feeling would pass.

Zayaan woke up and saw me pacing around the room. He switched on the side lamp and got out of bed. He stopped me and made me sit on the bed.

"What's wrong doll?"

"I don't know, I feel so restless. Go back to sleep I'll be okay."

"No I'm not leaving you like this, come sit here in the covers, you don't have to sleep but don't tire yourself walking around the room."

I got back into bed, sitting against the headboard, my head placed on Zayaan's shoulder. We sat there in silence until we heard the Azaan.

I got out of bed and read my Salaah, I called Ammi to find out if there was any improvement or any news. She said the doctors were monitoring things but haven't given any update as yet.

Ammi asked me to stay at home today, she said that she didn't want me to come to the hospital. I respected her feelings and care for me but I really wanted to see Nani. 

I went to the kitchen to make myself and Zayaan a cup of tea, Nanu was sitting in the lounge reading Quraan. He was so calm through this all, I know he was worried but he didn't show anyone.

Zayaan was on the phone when I got to the room, I heard him saying he will be back by tomorrow. I didn't know he was planning to go back so soon. I didn't let him know that I heard his conversation.

I left the tea by his bedside and went to sit by the window. As I sipped on my tea I drifted into thoughts about my childhood. Our holidays by Nani and Nanu, the fun we had when we stayed in one house with the Hamidi's. 

I took a quick shower and then went down to help bhabhi with breakfast. She informed me that her parent's and the Hamidi's were coming over today.

I wasn't going to the hospital anyways so I told her that Nosheen bhabhi and I would prepare lunch while she took food for Zuhair bhai and Ammi.

Abba and Nuwal Bhabhi went with Nanu to the hospital while Nosheen bhabhi and I got busy in the kitchen preparing lunch. Zayaan disappeared for most of the day. He said he had some work to attend to that he left.

I didn't bother much with him, since after the call this morning he has been behaving strangely. I don't know if it was Raeesa on the phone but I told him before that he should be honest with me.

Nosheen bhabhi and I just finish preparing lunch when the Hamidi's arrived. It was nice seeing them after a long time. Fawaaz bhai got a call from Abba, I could see from his expression that it was not good news.

Fawaaz bhai called Nosheen bhabhi and Aunty Ayesha to the kitchen. Aunty Ayesha walked into the living room and told Zafar and I that she had some bad news.

I already knew what she was going to say, when Fawaaz bhai got the call I already figured it out. Aunty Ayesha sat next to me and held my hand.

"I'm afraid Nani didn't make it, the doctors tried but it was her time. I'm really sorry."

I burst into tears, Zafar was more shocked than anything else. I think he hoped Nani would make it through this like she did before. Aahil brought me a glass of water and held me.

Fawaaz bhai tried to get hold of Zayaan, while Mubashir bhai and uncle Umar made the arrangements for the mayyit. The house suddenly filled up with people, all expressing their condolences.

Zuhair bhai and bhabhi brought Nanu to the house, he looked like he was lost. He stood there lifeless greeting everyone, he probably didn't even know what they were saying to him.

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Important notice:

I will not be posting until after eid. I'm really sorry for the inconvenience.