Mao x Reader x Ruka: Breaking Up

-----Past-----

Yourself and Mao stood on the beach. You had just graduated high school and you're going your separate ways.

"I'm surprised." You cracked a smile.

"Huh?" Mao glances at you.

"You graduated." You smirked.

He narrows his eyes at you, "Shut it!"

You let out an amused chuckle. You're going to miss your childhood friend.

You both stood in a comfortable silence. You listened to the waves, the ocean air, the bird, the wind, the trees, everything.

Mao glanced at you, smiling a bit, "You know...I'm kinda disappointed."

"Why?"

"We promised we would never leave each other. Just look at what's happened." He looked down.

You stared at him concerned. Mao is very teasing, sly, childish, and cynical. Seeing him so sincere and serious is still new to you, even if you knew him for over 10 years.

"You're right. I guess...that promise is now broken."

"Why are talking like it just broke? It broke two years ago..."

"..." You said nothing, knowing he's right.

-----Present-----

You ran through the different roads. Their is somewhere you need to be and that with Ruka. An escaped inmate.

Enki broke out. His little 'sidekicks' did as well. Ruka being one of them.

It began to rain. You ran to the only place where he could be.

You came to a stop in front of a small shrine. It was meant to honour the guards and inmate who have died at Nanba. The main cause being the New Years Tournaments. However, one being an inmate killed at the hands of a guard.

Your uniform soaked wet with rain drops, but you didn't care. Despite the coldness, you felt relaxed.

"It's been awhile." Mao spoke.

Mao had beat you to the shrine.

Ruka stood facing the shrine, not bothering to go under it. He felt low with energy. It's because of his heavy heart.

"Why did you let me go? Did you care at all?" Ruka said.

You could barley see it, but it caught your attention.

Ruka trembled. He held his gut and cupped his mouth his his hand.

Your eyes softened, seeing him in such a fragile state.

Mao spotted it as well, but that didn't stop him. "You were offered to study at a fashion school. We didn't want to hold you back."

"But I didn't want to go!" Ruka shouted over the rain.

You frowned. "It was best Ruka."

"No it wasn't. Only I know what's best for me. It certainly wasn't that good for nothing school." He hiccuped.

You walked forward, stopping next to Mao.

"....that was your only chance to go to your dream school. We had to let you go." You spoke up.

Ruka hesitated for awhile before answering, "You let me go....but you two never left each other. I heard rumours about two guards at Nanba who have been childhood friends. One of them being Chinese and the other being (nationality). I had a hunch it was you two. My best friends."