Predestined 71: Ambush

"Liqin

"Liqin..."

"Lin.."

Both women haven't seen each other in almost five months. They used to go everywhere together.

And now, both women could only give each other a strained and awkward hug.

Then they sat together on the opposite side of the table.

When Feng Lin received the phone call from her husband earlier that Liu Minzhe's mother might come to meet any of them, because apparently she had just learnt that Dayu was back for a visit, with a new man.

Not surprising, because Dayu and his two best friends were taking Qing around town today. And Goderich is just a small town; where everybody knew everybody. And especially Dayu. Who wouldn't know the son of the Feng, who was dumped by the son of the Liu after dating for a long time and engaged for two years?

And she knew, that Liu Liqin probably would call her. The woman had tried calling and sending messages countless of times, though she never felt like returning her calls or even replying to her messages.

Today, however, when she got the call just after her husband called her, she didn't let it ring for long. She took it, and Liu Liqin didn't waste time to demand that they meet.

The Brownies cafe, had always been their usual place to be and have their tea and sweet food, after a walk at the mall.

Liu Liqin arrived first and the cafe owner almost choked seeing her coming after everything that had happened. The biggest surprise however; was, when Feng Lin came in a while later.

The cafe owner and her workers were now on their feet, with eyes at the back of their head. Those are Liu Minzhe's and Feng JianYu's mothers!!! Their sons had been involved with each other for years before getting engaged only to split up two years later. And it was obviously because Liu Minzhe fell for another person; a woman.

And, this probably is the first time these two women met after their sons broke up. Hence, it made everybody in the café; the owner, the workers and even the other costumers as well felt like they're being fried on a hot pan. 

The two women looked at each other in silence for a few nerve wrecking  minutes.

"I heard that Dayu's in town..." Liu Liqin finally spoke, giving Feng Lin a sharp look and accusing look.

"Yes, he is..It's Qingming Festival holiday in China..so he took the time to visit us.." Feng Lin answered, coolly.

"And..He brought someone with him..?" Liu Liqin's tone became a little more condescending, to Feng Lin's taste. Still, she managed to hold herself back from retorting as such.

"Yes.." Feng Lin nodded, meeting Liu Liqin's eyes without flinching. There's nothing to be ashamed or feel guilty about.

"And you're okay with that?" Feng Lin seemed so calm talking about Dayu bringing someone back home, and that only meant that she accepted that fact already; that Dayu's moving on with another person. And if Feng Lin is this calm; the rest of the Feng were probably the same too.