Tabnay Shahid's Review

"One doesn't always have an easy going life with all kinds of riches and a whole happy family falling under their luck. "The Girl" written by Joseph Hawkins is a wonderful depiction of the very perspective.

One can easily relate to the events and circumstances occurring in the book with the help of the different characters and their respective personalities.

     In this book, the author talks about a former child soldier, Alias Tabna or Fiona Bustamante who manages to escape the world of guerrillas and tries to live a decent life amongst her family and friends. Meanwhile, the girl decides to pursue medicine and become a successful doctor to help the people in need. Though, the girl isn't an ordinary one and things around her can't remain calm at all times but with the help of the people who respect and care for her, she manages to get through all of them one at a time.

     The story initially falls under the following genres - thriller, mystery, adventure, rom-com, and a tinge bit of action. Greater part of the story revolves around a hospital, also known as the San Pedro University, located in Bogota, Colombia where she meets all kinds of people, starting from the ones who plot against her life to the humble ones who simply wish for her well being. Personally, apart from having the brave protagonist as a favourite character, Nina, her youngest sister was a delight to read about as well. She is a quick-witted, young girl with a charming personality who keeps the atmosphere around her cheerful with ingenious and humorous remarks. She also develops a very unfriendly relation with a corrupt neighbour named Chucho but in the end, things fall under her favour as Nina wins over Chucho's mother, Grandma Theresa who later happens to be interested in her talent.

     On the other hand, to be able to keep up with a story of 149 chapters along with its editing in the process requires an enormous amount of patience which is indubitably quite commendable on the author's part. Not only has he managed to put together his story in the book but also, educated us with a few things that could have been unknown to us as readers in particular. Therefore, it was a fun, informational and recreational read on my part and, which is why I would definitely recommend others to have a go at it."

                               From tabnash_24