Chapter 11

Deianeira & Elain

Deianeira & Elain

*****

Hours became days, days became weeks of running, many times without any rest for days, only stopping for the girls to feed, passing forests, fields, leaving behind every familiar corner. Moving under the cover of the night and hidden by the shade of trees and the fog during the day, each step took them closer to the northern mountains. Being half-pure vampires, like Darion and Eden, the sun did not affect them as much it would affect a normal vampire, allowing them to keep moving. The air was running colder, biting in the human flesh. Hiding their fragile bodies under their purple cloaks, the girls were forced to start anew in a remote area. The mountain peaks were so high and their scarlet colour pierced their hearts, the trees were dying and the animals rarely went out, the fog slowly setting above the peaks suffocated the life out of its inhabitants. Layers of green, red and yellow covered the mountains, the rivers flowed rapidly, the sound of water being the only lively thing that they could hear. September made its presence felt.

Elain could not help herself from feeling safer than ever before in Ramisu's arms. She would try not to ask too many questions, not to invade his privacy and Ramisu would answer before hearing the question. He could see right through her and he did not seem the least bothered by her curiosity. On the contrary, he wanted her to know and accept everything about him, in the same way he wanted to listen to her stories and make up for the time he was away, his visits, as she found out, having stopped a few years ago, when she was still too young to understand what was going on.

Though treated with kindness, Deianeira would not speak with Lyserg unless necessary. In the long days spent together, she learned to accept his cockiness, which hid a warm but childish heart. She felt protected, but she could not leave Darion's betrayal in the past. She kept the bloodstone in her hand, still hanging on the lace Darion had gifted her. Deep in her heart, she kept telling herself something had happened to him. That Darion was not her Darion and she still hoped she would get to see him again.

Sleeping in Lyserg's arms, she felt the air thinner and her hands frozen because of the cold wind and when she opened her eyes, she saw they were in the heart of the mountain, in a dense forest.

Lsg: We are almost there.

Not long after, she saw the mansion with its high imposing walls. Built in the stone of the mountain, the three-floor mansion with its southern and northern towers governed over the tall old trees. Its face to the west, the sunset covered the walls in shades of blood and Deianeira could feel the heavy atmosphere surrounding her. After passing the gates with the two gargoyles on the pillars, Lyserg carefully put Deianeira down in front of the entrance door. He intertwined his finger with hers and opened the door, allowing her to enter first.

Lsg: Welcome home, my queen.

The large entrance hall decorated in gold opened in front of her eyes and the servants, all humans, gathered to welcome their Master. After seeing Lyserg, they all bowed in respect. Looking at their necks, Deianeira noticed countless bites, but she also noticed that they were all unharmed.