Chapter 34

He could feel Deianeira getting restless in his absence and opened the door, not knowing exactly what to expect. The curtains were drawn, blocking the sunlight, he found the room tidied up, new clothes on the bed and a fade rose smell lingered in the bathroom. Deianeira was in a corner next to the window and, as soon as she saw him, she bowed her head thus greeting him.

Dei: Welcome back. I wanted you to have a nice return, I do know that Master is getting more and more tired, so I wanted to make Master happy.

She did not raise her head and waited in silence for him to give an answer, but Darion smiled and he put a finger under her chin, so that her eyes could meet his.

Dr: You prepared me a bath?

Dei: Do not worry, I will not disturb you. I do not want to anger you in any way because you are the only one who comes and stays with me.

Sadness was the first he could sense in her, but, when she took her place on the chair by the window, her fear made its presence felt as well; it seemed that, unbeknownst to her, the memories of her death in the snow influenced her current state as well. Darion kneeled at her level and hugged her tight, then took her right hand and kissed it.

Dr: Thank you, I will be right back.

He grabbed the clothes from the bed and went to take a bath, wondering if she would be curious to check up on him, but something told him that Deianeira will not come. After a few minutes, he got up, got dressed and entered the room with his shirt still opened. The sight of his well-built chest and his ears-length hair wet with drops of water still pouring from it made it even harder for Deianeira to look away and hide her excitement, yet she did not move.

Dr: Let us do something new today. Let us go outside in the evening.

Dei: But I am afraid of this whiteness...

Dr: Snow, it is called snow.

He opened the window and quickly grabbed some snow from the window sill which he then pressed against her face, but he gave up on it when she tried pulling away anxious. Instead, picked her up in his arms and spent the whole afternoon with her in bed, trying to make her rest. He did not know why, but her rest time had shortened. When the evening came, he opened the large windows, as she hid behind him. He grabbed his coat and put it on her shoulders for comfort and then grabbed her hand tighter.

Dr: Ready to get out of this room?

Having her approval, they both jumped out of the window and, despite her prior anxiety, she fell in love with all the new smells and colours she could see, even the sound of the snow under her boots.

Dei: Master, it is very nice. And the moon was never more beautiful.

Dr: There is nothing to be afraid of. I am here with you and you have to get more confident. No one is out to harm you, Dei. I will protect you with my life.

From her window, Elain and Eden were watching the scene in silence.

Ela: What is she doing outside?

Ed: I think Darion wants to help her remember faster. She had not left the room in five days.

Dei: Can I give in to my craving? I want you to feel how I feel now.

She still seemed innocent to him, unaware of his abilities to feel her emotions without the exchange of blood.

Dr: Well, you started hating that bed anyways.

Despite his intention to slit his wrist open and let enjoy his blood one more time, he found himself locked in her kiss, one that started out softly, as if she was afraid to touch him, that he will push her away, but which soon became more passionate. He did not stop her, instead he ran his fingers through her hair and pierced his lower lip. The blury memory of such a kiss having happened before pulled her away and, when she saw a few drops of blood on the snow, the diziness took her energy. Being too scared, she hid her head in Darion's chest.