Chapter 40

Darion & Deianeira

Darion & Deianeira

*****

The rain had stopped a few days ago, but the clouds still covered the sky, it was a moonless night and the stars could not be seen. They stopped in front of a mansion, or what was left from it, the eastern wing was almost entirely destroyed, the roof was partially crashed and the stone walls were covered by poisonous ivy.

Ed: Such a delightful place.

Ela: It's our best option.

Ed: I don't want to see the worst option then.

Dei: The western wing doesn't seem too damaged. Let us just go.

She went ahead with Elain and Darion stopped Eden in his tracks before following them.

Ela: At least we have a roof to sleep under.

Dei: If you can call it like that.

The old painting she wanted to touch on their way up to the first floor fell to pieces with a thud, but fortunately they found a few rooms that were not in complete ruin and were shortly joined by the boys. Darion followed Deianeira in a room where the only piece of furniture that was not yet broken was the massive bed covered in dust and the broken window let the night's chill wind come inside.

Dr: Not as bad as I expected, I must say.

He helped Deianeira remove the bedsheets, took the blanket out from his backpack and put it on the bed.

Giving them the space they so much needed, Eden knocked on the ajar door of the room Elain had entered.

Ela: Just come in, Eden.

Ed: Did you make yourself comfortable?

Ela: It has a bed, that's all I need.

Ed: Come on, let us go hunt.

Ela: Now?

Ed: Do you want to hunt on daylight?

All she had wanted was to take a bath in the lake behind the mansion and rest, but Eden was right and who knew when they would be able to feed again, so she let out a sigh, threw the bedsheets on the floor and wiped the dust off her bloody clothes.

Ela: You're right, let us go.

Dei: I need to wash this blood off and burn these clothes, the smell is driving me crazy.

Dr: Come with me.

He took her hand and made their way to the lake behind the mansion. The cold did not bother them and they enjoyed the silence and mystery surrounding the mansion. Deianeira heard it when Elain and Eden left, she knew they were alone at that time and it felt as if her heart had started thumping again; the thought of being alone with Darion made her anxious. Darion hugged her from behind and kissed her shoulder.