Chapter 38

Darion & Eden

Darion & Eden

*****

Serion hugged the girls and squeezed them tight.

Sr: I will miss you so much! Even you, smelly dhampir.

Ela: Thank you Serion, that's the nicest thing I've heard.

Dei: We will see each other again.

Sr: Take good care of them. I will send you notice if I have news. Ah, before I forget, this is for you.

He took the quiver off his back, filled to its full with arrows, and handed it to her, Darion's being already full as well, and his kind gesture brought him one more strong hug from her.

Dei: Thank you, Serion!

Sr: Easy, honey, take me on a date first.

Dei: Only if you bring the jewels.

Dr: Excuse me?

She laughed at his reaction and took the quiver, admiring its every detail.

Sr: The sun has already set, you should hurry now.

Ed: See you soon, Serion.

Sr: Of course.

Departures were never easy, not even for Darion and Eden and they dealt with them in the best way they knew: making them short and fast. After giving their goodbyes, they all turned their backs and started running, without looking back. They stayed true to their words and stopped as little and rare as possible, only for feeding and resting during the day, Elain agreeing to sleep in Eden's arms at times. Her thoughts never ceased to try to reach Ramisu and feeling he was safe was enough to keep her hopes alive.

They left the mountains behind and avoided all the villages on their way and by the time they reached the boundaries of Leon's domains, the snow had already ceased from falling and spring was right around the corner. The full moon lit their way and they stopped at the entrance in a village that was bordered by a quick river at its left.

Dr: We can't go around this village, this river goes on for miles. We will have to stay here till tomorrow and leave at night.

Ela: But we can still go the other way.

Dr: Holy ground.

Ela: What?

Ed: There is a church right there. The land around it is holy ground, we cannot step on or around it.

Darion was sure Deianeira must had already felt the smell of humans and squeezed her hand stronger, expecting she might lose her control.

Dr: Stay next to me.

The village was almost empty, as it would normally be after midnight, and only the taverns were still alive, the drunken men were laughing out loud and the easy women, clinging onto their necks, were pouring more beer and wine in their pints. Deianeira grabbed Darion's arm tighter as she could feel all the heartbeats inside the taverns; this noise called for her and the desire to spill blood took over. She kept on repeating to herself that they were humans and that she would not hurt them on purpose, but her vampire instincts were greater than logics and she felt like they were speaking next to her, she could smell their sweat and feel their breath on her face.