Chapter 117

Ramisu & Lyserg & Leon

*****

The sudden and strong light made the sisters close their eyes and cover them with their hands and, when the intensity dropped and they opened their eyes again, they found themselves in the council room. They could recognize some faces, old faces, some of them still part of Amel's council, but what drew their attention was the fact that Leon and Amel were shaking hands in the middle of the room, under everyone's eyes, while Ramisu and Lyserg were standing next to them, Lyserg holding the necklace and Ramisu wearing Elain's sapphire ring on a lace around his neck.

Lyserg was smiling with his fangs showing, fixing his eyes on Darion, finally happy that he was the one to earn the privilege of marrying Amel's oldest daughter, the privilege of starting a family and making his Adra proud. He was going to enjoy this to the fullest as he proudly lifted the necklace once again. He looked at Ramisu, whose face was still serious. Darion and Eden had a stern look on their faces, observing the crowd, satisfied that their father had won another victory on his battlefield. The girls heard Eden telling Darion that he would tease Lyserg after the meeting was over, but Darion grabbed his shoulder, nodding in disapproval. Darion reminded him that for him there was no competition in this game and that Lyserg should enjoy at least what was given to him. In matters that concerned him, Darion always preferred to fight and obtain whatever he wanted. Both Eden and Darion left, refusing to attend the following celebrations, considering them of too less an importance for themselves.

Soon after the claim was over, the scenery moved to Ramisu and Lyserg meeting their betrothed ones. Deianeira was behind her younger self, while Elain was next to her and behind young Elain. They both lowered themselves down at the same time with Lyserg and Ramisu and starred right into their eyes. Lyserg smiled at Deianeira and tried to make her smile touching her nose, pretending to having stolen it. Her laugh followed right away. Ramisu, on the other hand, put his hand out for Elain to shake it, but Elain only looked at it and shook her head. Leon's laugh could be heard behind Ramisu, reminding him that he had got a difficult one. Ramisu showed a small but kind smile and ended up patting her head.

In the blink of an eye the toddlers were playing again on the floor, while Amel and Alyssa were talking in their own chambers. They were alone, Alyssa was crying and Amel was tense. He tried to embrace Alyssa, but she took a step back. She ensured him she was not upset with him, she had fully agreed with him and with his new plan, but she needed time. Soon after that, she stood up and told Amel she was ready. Amel sent word for them to come and then they both rushed to the nursery. The girls looked up at them and Elain could remember that night very well.

She watched her young self closely, already knowing that the child would soon stand up and grab her sister's hand, feeling that there was something wrong with their parents. After they were being taken, they heard Alyssa telling the servants, soon to be their parents, that they never wanted to hear from them. Before leaving, Alyssa gave the twin necklaces to the man who was now their father and asked him to give them to the girls, but to never tell them who they are actually from.