Chapter 51

The moment they returned, Ramisu rushed to Elain's side and, before Deianeira could follow him as well, Darion pulled her to the side to talk; there was no sight of Eden, as he had already gone hunting.

Dr: Why did you do that? Do you think you're doing me a favour hiding this way? I already know you are in pain, Deianeira.

Dei: But you don't feel it.

Dr: You are hiding from me, don't you know this hurts more than any other grief?

Dei: Don't take me wrong, Darion...I just need some time for myself and by myself.

Dr: Your eyes are still red. Do you think I need the bond or my powers to know how you feel? I know you are suffering, I know you are restless and angry, but if you block our bond...where is the trust?

Dei: This has nothing to do with you or the bond. Too many things have happened and I need time to get used to this.

She wanted to walk away, but his words made her stop in her tracks.

Dr: I know you thought about turning them off, I know you almost did it during the fight. You are not trying to get used to it, you are trying to run from it.

Dei: They are my feelings, my thoughts and it is my decision to do what I want to them! This has saved me before.

Dr: And you keep choosing the easy way out! Will you always do this? More will die, more will betray and more will fail us. Will you choose to turn them off every time? Will there be anything left of you?

Dei: I will do whatever it takes to survive!

The disappointment in his eyes was one of the few she had never seen before in him and that look cut right through her heart. But that was not because she was weak, she had the right to be, it was because she had chosen to suffer by herself and shut him away, making him useless while watching her destroying herself. And he could not just stay and watch.

Dr: You are weak, I used to think like that and I still regret it. Running, hiding from reality is the path of the weak ones. You should let it all come, suffer it, endure it and use it to make you stronger.

Dei: If she dies, I will turn them off.

Dr: Then you will fail her.

He left before she could answer him back, it was the first time he was so angry with her, so disappointed by her decisions and h had nothing else to tell her as he saw he could not reach her; she was determined to do everything her way. Deianeira's eyes filled with tears, but she shoved them away and decided to let Darion's words pass by her; her target was to bring Elain back.

At the cover of the night they left again, afraid of the possibility of having Leon's vampires hunting them. Ramisu carried Elain in his arms and they did not stop for a moment until the sun took its place back on the sky. They took shelter as soon as they found a cave to hide in and, as it was much smaller, they had to jostle each other in order to stay away from the sun rays. They did not speak to each other and the atmosphere around them was as tensed as it could get, none of them could sleep and they left once again as soon as the last sun ray disappeared, refusing to stop for the whole night again. Leon's domains were far behind them now.

Dr: It is morning, we need to hide quickly.

His voice was the first to be heard after a long time of quietness, as he looked around searching for a cave without success. Being semi-pure vampires the sun did not affect them as much as it did with the others, but it still weakened them and coming face to face with the enemy after walking through daylight was not an option, so they needed shelter urgently.