Chapter 58

The guards rushed the boys out of the room while Elain and Deianeira were looking at each other in shock; nothing was going as planned and it was much worse than they had imagined. Silence fell in the room as the guards that remained kept their heads bowed in expectation.

Ela: How can you do that? They are the only reason why we made it here! Had it not been for them, we would have been in Leon's hands.

Am: I want to learn the truth. That is all.

Having the boys out of the room, Deianeira could now notice how much calmer Almer's aura was and, when Alyssa put a hand on his shoulder, the sisters could immediately see the influence she had on him.

Ela: We told you the truth. If you don't believe us, there is nothing else we can do.

As: Leave us alone.

'We will be behind the door.'

The heavy doors were opened with a squeak and the girls knew that things were just starting to get more serious.

Dei: You need proof that what we say is true. Then, fine, ask what you want.

Am: It is not your words I need.

As: Amel!

But he simply raised his hand as a sign for Alyssa to stop, leaving her distraught.

As: A mother's heart knows her daughters all too well, Amel. Their auras, the way they resemble us, even their personalities are almost the same. I do not need any proof, Deianeira. I have read you since you first came in.

Am: I don't doubt they are our daughters, you have to understand I need to make sure you are on our side.

Dei: By letting our blood speak? Alright, but first tell me where did the guards take our friends?

She did not care that he was staring her down and the confidence with which she approached the throne brought a faint smile appeared on Amel's face. 

Am: Yes, my child. By drinking your blood.

Upon using her dagger to slit her wrist, she did not forget to warn Amel about her strong venom; little did she know his was twice as dangerous. He got up from the throne, grabbed her wrist and pressed on it, making the blood pour and then bit strongly without a warning.

Unsure about Elain's reaction, Alyssa did not leave out of her sight, there was something about her youngster that made her uneasy, but she could not put her finger on it and the look in her eyes worried her as well. But she was soon distracted by Deianeira's need for energy, her aura pulsing hungry for it and, when Alyssa put a hand on her face, Deianeira felt the energy rushing through her body.

Dei: What kind of vampire are you? I have never felt something like this before, your powers are far greater than mine. You take and you give.

Her mother's kind smile reassured her that everything would be alright.

As: You are far too young to have such powers. I am a vampire of energy, I can even live only relying on it.

She tried not to think of Darion too much and focused on her and her sister's journey in the two mansions and how they got to leave them, how they were transformed, how they had their first fights, how he missed half of their lives. Amel had been drinking for a few minutes straight, when he decided to pull away from her and gently caressed her face.

Am: I am so sorry, my child. For everything.

It seemed as if he was a completely different person, the warm hug he locked her in filled the emptiness in her heart, the kind voice he was now using eased the pain of such a long journey and tears filled their eyes.