Chapter 31

Ed: I will hunt for you, find a place to rest.

None of them had the time protest against his decision, as Eden left in search for food right away. Darion got up with Deianeira in his arms, leaving the bloody snow behind, and they took shelter in a cave not far from the place where Lyserg's sword remained in the ground. Darion struggled to ignore his feelings and keep his mind empty, because, as soon as he allowed himself to think and feel, it would be too much for him to handle. 

Ela: Darion.

Dr: Sorry, what?

Ela: I called you tree times.

Dr: I am sorry, I was not paying attention.

It was now almost impossible to believe the that the moment he turned his back to Deianeira actually existed, the man in front of her loved her so much and she could see right through him, how scared and in pain he was. She was glad she had been wrong to judge him, she was glad that he was the one who stayed alive and she felt confident she was not wrong to take his side. She put a hand on his shoulder, in an attempt to comfort him.

Ela: Don't blame yourself.

Dr: Had I claimed her right then, I would have avoided this.

Ela: You did what you considered right to do and the fact that you came back for her only proves you are the right person for her.

Dr: I hope she will understand it.

Ela: She kept it for a long time, you know? The lace.

Hearing that, he looked at her with eyes full of hope.

Dr: Don't lie to me.

Ela: You know I don't lie. At that time, I blamed her for still wearing it, Lyserg seemed to be a good person and I...to be honest I hated you pretty much at that time.

His short bitter laugh echoed in the cave.

Ela: But now I understand why she did it, she must have missed you so much.

Darion looked at Deianeira and brushed her hair, aware of the fact that he would soon have to see everything she had been through and he knew Lyserg would be part of her memories for the rest of her life, but he did not care about what happened in the past. It was his blame and he was ready to pay for it. Because of him, Lyserg would stay in Deianeira's heart forever, but what mattered most was that they spend the rest of their lives together.

After Eden came back with the pray and they fed, Darion drank Deianeira's blood from her wrist, that blood he had been craving for so much for such a long time. They had thought so many times about the time when they would finally give in and exchange blood, but he had never imagined it would happen under such circumstances. He felt the power of her venom right away, but enjoyed every sip; he missed it so much. Had the situation been different, he might have found it difficult to stop, but he was well aware of it and he controlled himself, stopping himself much sooner than he wanted to and then continuing with giving her his venom.

Deianeira opened her eyes and found herself in a dark place. She could not speak, she had no voice and she felt as if she was out of time.

Lsg: My little sparkle, it's time to go home.

She wanted to call his name, but words would not come out.

Lsg: I know what you want to say, but don't worry. I am fine and you will be fine. It is just as we said it would be: I'm the death of you and you are the death of me. Follow my voice, my love, and let us be at last together.

She did want to follow the voice, but it seemed to come from everywhere. Soon enough, her attention got caught by a fade purple light far from her and she started running towards it, but Darion's voice had her stop in her tracks, her body burning.