Chapter 75

Amel and young Elain

*****

Darion went to Eden's door and did not bother knocking or asking for the approval to enter. Eden stood up as soon as Darion entered. The room was now clean and Eden's aura was clear, his bloodlust entirely gone. After Rubia woke up, it took only a couple of more visits till she finally made her way into Eden's room and had enough time to help him. The next step, a successful one, was to take him outside for long walks in the night. They both found it very easy to speak openly about everything and, though Eden was the type to make bad jokes and unnecessary comments, Rubia was the first to find him truly funny and interesting. His cockiness, straightforwardness and sarcastic attitude attracted her as much as her playful and childish character attracted him.

Dr: You seem to feel better.

Ed: Because I am feeling better.

Darion folded his arms and waited. He knew how much Eden hated it, but he would not make the first step. That was Eden's punishment. Eden rolled his eyes, knowing very well what Darion was waiting for.

Ed: Fine, I'm sorry, you were right, you are always right, your mighty rightness. Happy?

Dr: Almost there. I was right about what?

Ed: You're pulling my leg.

Dr: Don't tempt me to do it for real.

Eden sat on the edge of the bed.

Ed: You were right about everything, about the bloodlust, about the madness it can bring. And about my feelings too. I do care for Elain, but it is not what I thought. Had I never tasted her blood I would have never stepped out of line with her and Ramisu. I still can't believe what I've done.

He ran his hands through his hair.

Ed: I don't know how to face them.

Darion sat next to him and put a hand on his shoulder.

Dr: Elain feels the same, Eden. You both need to forgive each other. As for Ramisu, give him time. He understood everything, I talked with him. He only needs time to leave it all behind.

Ed: I screwed up everything.

Dr: Not everything, it seems. With a witch, Eden? Couldn't you pick any other girl?

Eden couldn't hide his clumsy smile as he looked away.

Ed: I won't even try to deny it. She is so different, Darion. The moment I saw her I felt...I felt...

Dr: Mesmerized? As if the time had stopped and there were only you and her in the world?

Eden looked at him hopeless. Darion did not need any approval. He patted his back and smiled to him.

Dr: I am happy for you, my brother. It all depends on you if you blow it or not.

Ed: Thanks a lot.